{SORTED}playing video from a windows share.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

{SORTED}playing video from a windows share.

Postby davemak on Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:09 pm

hi everyone... first post.

not been using linux as an os for very long but i have had a linux based sat reciever for about 4 years now so im familiar with linux commands, just not so much with the os. i found answers to most of my issue's but not knowing how to properly word this for the search function to find anything... so here goes.

when i click a file, say an .avi or.mp3 file from a shared folder on a windows pc, rather than streaming it like windows would do, mint is downloading it before it will do anything with it. they play fine once downloaded but i'd much rather stream it..

is there a tickbox or something for this or will i have to setup a media server to do this?

dave mak

**EDIT**

By right clicking the avi or mp3 etc. and selecting "open with" then "Movie Player" it plays instantly, this doesn't work with VLC, MPlayer or Gnome Mplayer.
Last edited by davemak on Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davemak
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: playing video from a windows share. probable silly question

Postby dlkreations on Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:54 pm

You may want to consider VLC Media Player, it has streaming capabilities. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

You can also get it from Mint Install
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Postby davemak on Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:46 pm

its not streaming as such.. tho it really is. which is why it's hard to search for an answer.

in windows i access my shared folder on my 2nd computer which does all my downloads.
now if i want to watch say a video clip in while running windows, it act's like the file is local and instantly fires up my media player and starts.
now under linux when i try the same, it wants to download the file to my computer first before starting to play, now i don't want to do this for 2 reasons.

1. because i intend on putting a version of linux on a sdhc card and running my laptop in it. storage will be limited so i don't want 350mb files dotted all over the place.
2. because i want to watch it now and not 3 mins later after its copied it over. :D

thanks
davemak
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dlkreations on Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:51 pm

Hence why I mentioned VLC Media Player. It can act as a media server and client. So if you have it on your Windows box, it can act as a media server, while on Mint, you can use it as a media client.

Other than that, I am not too sure how to go about it. I did some searches on Google, and haven't come up with anything other than VLC.

You can read more about it here: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/streaming.html
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Postby davemak on Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:11 pm

i can set up a media server, thats easy. just a pain to have to manage the files everytime i want to watch something.
i was just hoping it was something simple that i had missed. i'm running mint under virtualbox at the minute so i may just try a different version of linux to see if its something about mint or its a standard linux issue.

thanks again for the help.
davemak
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions