Undervolting Pentium M

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Undervolting Pentium M

Postby aelfinn on Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:16 am

I'm running Gloria with Kernel 2.6.30 and I'd like to increase battery life of my laptop as well as reduce fan noise. On Windows, I used to use NHC to undervolt the CPU, which was as painless as it was effective. Since I'm not yet too familiar with Linux, I'd appreciate a hint or two towards a straightforward solution on Linux. (The info in the 2008 thread on undervolting didn't seem to do the trick for me.)

TIA!
LM15 C64
Acer Aspire 1810TZ
aelfinn
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Undervolting Pentium M

Postby richyrich on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:21 am

Hi,
Do you have 'speedstep' enabled in your BIOS?

EDIT: reason I'm asking, I have an IBM with Pentium M, with speedstep enabled, cpu throttling is automatic. (from 2 Ghz -> 1 Ghz.)
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Undervolting Pentium M

Postby aelfinn on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:24 am

richyrich wrote:Do you have 'speedstep' enabled in your BIOS?

Speedstep is working fine, yes. But adjusting the CPU frequency is not really what I need; adjusting the voltage is.
LM15 C64
Acer Aspire 1810TZ
aelfinn
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions