Crystal Theme not appearing

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Crystal Theme not appearing

Postby Arch Angel Kiragis on Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:58 pm

Taking another shot at Linux Mint, Gloria is pretty glorious so far.

Still having problems trying to get the KDE Crystal theme functional though. In a previous post I tried compiling the theme, to no avail (yes I did install build-essential, btw, I just forgot to update the thread by the time I had tried a million other things, and it's no longer relevant to update now).

This time I used the Software Manager --> Find --> APT to get and install the kwin-style-crystal files. From what I understand this is the equivalent of:
sudo apt-get install kwin-style-crystal
. Using this command gave me the same result - there's no apparent change to any icons or windows, despite it being listed as installed, and sudo said everything was already installed and updated. I tried this with kde-icons-crystal as well, with the same effect. The only thing that might've changed is the "Custom" theme that's currently selected. That may or may not have been there before the Software Manager did its thing though. Crystal and the kde-icons did seem to create their own files, at least, as I can see them in /usr/share/doc/* and /usr/share/icons/Crystal.

Is there some kind of process I have to run or file I have to open for this to start working?

I AM running Gloria on a laptop that has no video card, but I'm apparently able to run the Extra animations/Visual Effects after Mint searched for and installed some kind of drivers (never told me what, just said "Searching for..." then the Extra stuff worked). Would the Crystal themes just not function without any errors?

Thanks for your help,
Zach

P.S. Might not get back to this ticket before Monday, weekend of the 4th and all.
Arch Angel Kiragis
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Crystal Theme not appearing

Postby Husse on Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:28 pm

Could you run lspci (l is a lower case L) and post the result
Also look in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and see if there is any driver mentioned - if yes tell us which one and if no tell us that
This could have something to do with video drivers
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Arch Angel Kiragis on Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:20 am

Here ya go.

zach@Garfunkel ~ $ sudo lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f3)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HEM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
01:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN (rev 02)
02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
zach@Garfunkel ~ $

And the xorg.conf file:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "DontZap" "False"
EndSection

Nothing that I see that seems like any drivers are being used.
Arch Angel Kiragis
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:18 am

I'm apparently able to run the Extra animations/Visual Effects after Mint searched for and installed some kind of drivers (never told me what, just said "Searching for..." then the Extra stuff worked).

I doubt that - you have Intel Graphics which does not use some extra drivers - I think it installed the STA driver for your Broadcom wifi
Try to turn off Compiz and see if you get the change (Apperance > Visual effects tab > None)
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Arch Angel Kiragis on Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:11 pm

I should have already had drivers for the Wifi, and I use wicd to manage wireless anyways. The "Searching for..." download was definitely triggered when I tried to switch to normal and/or extra visual effects, and the visual effects definitely did not function before it had installed whatever it did. I used to get an error to the effect of "This function is not supported by your hardware."

Anyways, tried turning off visual effects, still no change in any of the settings or appearances.
Arch Angel Kiragis
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:55 am

I think this is a KDE theme and may not work well in Gnome
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Arch Angel Kiragis on Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:49 am

Hmm, a fair point, but then why is it on Mint's website with screenshots of it working in Mint? Does anyone know if these screens were taken of the KDE Mints?
Arch Angel Kiragis
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Copa360 on Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:10 am

KWin is the window manager used by KDE. There are KDE versions of mint. KWin themes will not work in Gnome which uses Metacity as its window manager by default. Look around, there may be a Metacity port of Crystal floating around somewhere.
Copa360
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions