Going from Ubuntu to Mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Going from Ubuntu to Mint

Postby numtre on Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:55 am

Hello mates

I'm currently running Ubuntu 8.10 and I'm thinking of jumping to Mint 7 instead of Ubuntu Jaunty.

Any suggestion on what to backup etc?
Can i just install and preserve my Home and everything should be kinda ok then?

any suggestion is highly appreciated!

thanks a mill!

PS: i'm typing from the Live distro which works like a charm
numtre
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Going from Ubuntu to Mint

Postby numtre on Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:04 am

Also, will I need to reinstall my apps? I think so, but just doublkechecking...
numtre
Level 1
Level 1

Postby pluraldave on Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:26 am

What's your setup? The standard Ubuntu / and /home? Personally I use data partitions to store my data on and wipe /home each time I upgrade (but save needed config files).

Your only problem with keeping /home is that your old config flies/folders will remain (and so your new Mint will look like your old Ubuntu, some apps might break). I think if you put all the (hidden) config files/folders into a new folder before upgrading your home should then be automatically populated with new config files. Any old files/folders that you need to keep (firefox etc) you can then copy across after installation. Or you could choose to mount your old home as a data partition and copy across.

And yes you need to reinstall any extra apps that are not part of the standard Mint installation.
pluraldave
Level 5
Level 5

Postby kandieyman on Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:18 pm

I just made the switch from Ubuntu to Mint, and I recommend you do the following:

1) Make a backup (rsync to an external drive) your entire home folder.
2) When installing Mint use ext4 (it is much faster than ext3)
3) Reinstall any custom applications
4) Restore your files (no hidden or system files)

Let me explain about hidden and system files in your home folder:
1) The switch from Ubuntu 8.10 to Jaunty met with some changes to several applications, including Gnome (you will really like those changes!) causing some incompatibility between hidden files in your home folder.
2) Since you are switching OSes, you might as well take the time to start fresh. Keep the hidden files for occasional reference, but it really is not that time consuming to set up your applications fresh. (I did it after using Ubuntu for 4 years.)

If you have any other questions about migrating, I would be happy to help. By the way, I am very pleased with the switch.
kandieyman
Level 1
Level 1

Postby numtre on Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:34 am

I finally backed up, I'll upgrade soon, Thanks for your help

Fingers crossed
numtre
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions