intel graphics drivers

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

intel graphics drivers

Postby pfd on Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:58 am

Noob Q. I have tried ubuntu 9.04 and have a problem with flash player on the Intel graphics chip built into my (oldish) machine. XP works fine! So I am going to have to reinstall an older version or ubuntu in order for BBC iPlayer to work. Thats got me looking at other distros and I am thinking of trying MInt instead. Does Mint suffer from the same Intel graphic problem that ubuntu 9.04 suffers from (which makes it pretty useless from my perspective)? Or do you share the same underlying code?

thanks
pfd
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: intel graphics drivers

Postby DrHu on Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:37 am

pfd wrote: in order for BBC iPlayer to work. Thats got me looking at other distros and I am thinking of trying MInt instead. Does Mint suffer from the same Intel graphic problem that ubuntu 9.04 suffers from (which makes it pretty useless from my perspective)?

I like the BBC as well, but isn't that iplayer problem cured already..
http://polishlinux.org/apps/multimedia/ ... reenshots/
--for UK IP addresses, it will work..
Sometimes even though you're in Britain it's possible you may see a message saying you're not. This could be because your computer is on a foreign-based network, or is routed overseas (sometimes the case with work connections if your employer is not UK-based). Some programs, such as web accelerators, can cause your IP address to appear as if it is outside the UK.
If BBC iPlayer doesn't recognise your IP address at all, then you won't be able to stream or download programmes.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130582
Does Mint suffer from the same Intel graphic problem that ubuntu 9.04 suffers from
It does use the Ubuntu repositories and drivers for most of its codebase (video, audio, multimedia) etc.. as well as the usual open source applications..
--so it will likely have similar issues..
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=28629&p=165917&hilit=intel+graphics+driver#p165917
Last edited by DrHu on Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby pfd on Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:48 am

No this isn't a problem with iplayer itself, its a problem with ubuntu Intel drivers (well documented but not scheduled to be fixed until the next release in October). Flash video doesn't play correctly. I was wondering if Mint suffers from the same issue.
pfd
Level 1
Level 1

Postby exploder on Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:58 am

Here is the information that will help you fix the Intel issue on Ubuntu and Mint.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130582

The fix is not very hard to apply, copy and paste makes it a piece of cake!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Katzedecimal on Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:25 pm

There is a Level 4 xorg update that fixes the issue. Open MintUpdate, Edit > Preferences, tick Level 4 as Visible (just Visible, not Safe) and apply. Let MintUpdate refresh, then tick and apply the xorg video driver Intel update. Then go back into the Preferences and untick Level 4; Level 4 and 5 updates should not be applies routinely, as you can break your system.
"Dance without sleeping, I'll dance without fear
Dance without senses, no message I hear
Dance without feeling, I'll dance 'til I'm numb
Dance 'til I think I can overcome" -- Melissa Etheridge
Katzedecimal
Level 4
Level 4

Postby pfd on Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:07 am

The level 4 fix didn't actually fix it. I've now tried ubuntu 8.04 and this works perfectly but its a much clunkier piece of kit than Mint but it does prove that there isn't a network or hardware issue that prevents proper flash playback, its all in the drivers. any other suggestion?
pfd
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Copa360 on Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:43 pm

I have an Intel video card. Interestingly enough, I tried Ubuntu Jaunty right after it came out and I could not watch video pretty much at all. YouTube, Hulu, BBC News, even downloaded .avi's would play choppy. I finally uninstalled and ran Hardy for a bit, then went back to XP for a while.

Just yesterday I tried Mint 7/Gloria to see if the Jaunty problem manifested itself there as well. It does not. I can watch videos perfectly fine! There was an Intel video xorg update earlier today, but it worked fine even before that.

The only video glitch I had was that some .avi's would not play right in mplayer. The sound would be a few seconds off from the video. I installed VLC and now they play perfectly! :)
Copa360
Level 2
Level 2

Postby forger on Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:37 pm

Is Gloria a definite fix for iPlayer stream issues? I am on Felicia at the moment and bad iPlayer stream performance is the one blot against Mint in my migration from W2k. I am using VIA KM400 integrated graphics on my, rather old, mobo which runs iPlayer on W2k very well, I have it dual boot at present.
Just moved from Mint 12 to Mint 13. Too newbie to do without a GUI
forger
Level 1
Level 1

Postby forger on Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:00 pm

As I got no answer to the previous post I tried Gloria on a Live CD. It did not work. In W2k I can run iPlayer full screen at 60% CPU usage, on the Live CD it is 90%+ just in the window so full screen must be maxing out the CPU.

Is there any solution for some one not at all comfortable with command line work?
Just moved from Mint 12 to Mint 13. Too newbie to do without a GUI
forger
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions