Gloria a bit buggy, or my old hardware? Which version to use

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xarte

Gloria a bit buggy, or my old hardware? Which version to use

Post by xarte »

I seem to be having problems with the computer freezing all the time - it's never happened to me so much with linux before.

I'm thinking about going back to an earlier version - I liked Ubuntu Intrepid (the one before the ugly monkey) and Mint 6 was fine I'm sure. But I thought I should be using the latest version for security and so forth.

Does linux tend to maintain a high degree of backward compatibility or will I run into problems running older releases?

I have a fairly old computer - only 512m ram - and find Compiz, though pretty, doesn't seem to play nice. Is it stock-standard now?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bennachie
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Gloria a bit buggy, or my old hardware? Which version to use

Post by bennachie »

In my experience, Gloria has been admirably free from show-stopping bugs, and works well with rather modest hardware. However, unless you have a reasonably modern graphics card to share the load, I wouldn't recommend trying to run Compiz in such hardware - that may be the primary cause of your problems. Compiz can easily be disabled - just open the "Appearance" preference pane, go to the "Visual Effects" tab, and select "None".

Mint still looks good.

You can easily use an older version of Ubuntu without compromising security. Version 8.04 (Hardy) is the current "long-term-support" version, and will be receiving regular updates (covering security and other issues) for another 18 months. I'm not sure what the position is with older versions of Mint - I assume Mint 5 was based on Ubuntu 8.04, but don't know what the policy is on repository maintenance.

However, I would try to sort your problems with Mint 7 before going back to an earlier version. I'm sure that you'll get good advice from other contributors to the forum.
xarte

Re: Gloria a bit buggy, or my old hardware? Which version to use

Post by xarte »

Thanks bennachie. I finally found that settings tab! I'd been looking in the more 'advanced' options.

I thought this crashing might have just been Firefox - it's woefully slow on my Mac too - but it does this weird slight flicker and stops in the middle of typing. I have my suspicions - this machine's power management system is a prime culprit.

I'm still making up my mind about the new edition otherwise... I'm a bit of a luddite, generally - I know a fresh new look is often nice, but I think 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it...'.

Return to “Beginner Questions”