Can mint play DVDs out the box

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Can mint play DVDs out the box

Postby MounainVicar on Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:21 pm

Hi All

I currently run XP but have been wondering about Linux for a while... and reading aout Mint I think that it is now tiem to give it a go.

First question of what im sure will be many: Does Mint play DVDs... if do does it do it wel adn do I need to download somthing first or is it all ready to go?...
MounainVicar
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can mint play DVDs out the box

Postby exploder on Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:29 pm

Welcome to the forum! Yes, LinuxMint will play DVDs out of the box. All multimedia should, just work. :D
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby darksyde on Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:01 pm

Mint does indeed play DVD's right out of the box, though you may want to try out several players (look under "Sound and Video" under the name of the particular version you're using <when you do load Mint> or the version you're planning to use). Mint-7 "Gloria" is the latest and it is wonderful, but I am in no hurry to change over from Mint-6 "Felicia". BTW, Mint is the distro that brought me 100% from "the other guys" and I'm never going back. Ok, to wrap up, you may want to check out VLC and SMPlayer especially for playing DVD's, though VLC is my fav for streaming music also. Good luck, and don't fear: Mint has the best desktop and is the most user-friendly (IMHO) distro there is and I've tried almost all of them. And finding applications is a snap since it comes from Debian by way of Ubuntu.
darksyde
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lexon on Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:16 pm

Welcome to Mint.
Mint works right out of the box for DVDs. I started with Mint 6 and now use Mint 7. I have two desktops and one Acer laptop running Mint 7 very well.
I have not used Windows for five years and love Linux. I am only a Linux user, not a Linux techie. Mint install with XP should work with no problem but I do not dual boot.

lexon
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit.
lexon
Level 5
Level 5

Postby gibbs1984 on Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:21 pm

As others have said it'll work straight away, it'll also only takes moments to install VLC and use that too like most people would in Windows.

I still dual boot because I play games but Linux Mint is bar far and away the best operating System I've ever used!

Come to the Linux world :twisted:
Linux Mint 17 (Cinnamon) 32bit.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Postby timjam on Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:38 pm

err... im trying to play a DVD right out the box and it isn't working...

could it be because of copy protection or somthing?...
timjam
Level 2
Level 2

Postby gremarc on Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:15 pm

It would be usefull if you would post the error message you are receiving. Most times a dvd that cannot be played is the result of codecs or configs. I have tested with copy protected DVDs and non-copy protected and the results are the same, they played without a problem. Like I said before, please post the error message you received or are receiving, this way it would be isolated.
gremarc
Level 1
Level 1

Postby darksyde on Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:00 pm

gremarc wrote:It would be usefull if you would post the error message you are receiving. Most times a dvd that cannot be played is the result of codecs or configs. I have tested with copy protected DVDs and non-copy protected and the results are the same, they played without a problem. Like I said before, please post the error message you received or are receiving, this way it would be isolated.

I'm curious to know what edition he is using also. If it's not a main edition he may not have a valuable codec which would have been included. In that case it would only be a matter of downloading another edition. Or would it be easier to find the proper codec? If he hasn't added many apps or saved many files, I would think that replacing the edition might be the answer, again assuming that he doesn't have a Main edition.
darksyde
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions