[invalid] open terminal via nautilus on a sftp/ssh device

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dunnie
Level 1
Level 1

[invalid] open terminal via nautilus on a sftp/ssh device

Post by dunnie »

Hi, I did a search for this bug, but couldn't find it.

Since upgrading to Linux Gloria, I am now unable to use nautilus-open-terminal on sftp/ssh devices/drives. I am using version 0.9-3ubuntu1. Basically as soon as I try to open up a terminal on a sftp/ssh device (which is itself working fine), nautilus crashes. This used to work fine before, but has only become a major problem since moving to Gloria. I know that this isn't unique to myself, as other friends of mine who also upgraded to Gloria are experiencing the same problem, which suggests a general bug. This has been occurring now for ages, and was hoping a new update of nautilus-open-terminal would be in the offering which would fix this problem, as using linux putty has it's draw backs (not able to cut and paste for example).

Hoping a new update comes soon.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: opening a terminal via nautilus on a sftp/ssh device

Post by DrHu »

dunnie wrote:...and was hoping a new update of nautilus-open-terminal would be in the offering which would fix this problem, as using linux putty has it's draw backs (not able to cut and paste for example).Hoping a new update comes..
Putty on linux, options or other apps
  • pterm
    --It also has some nifty features like rectangular selection and NetHack keypad mode.
  • sshmenu
    --sshmenu is a standalone application which puts all your most frequently used SSH connections on a menu.
  • sshmenu-gnome
    --puts all your most frequently used SSH connections on a menu in your GNOME panel.
  • sshs
    --a filesystem client based on the SSH File Transfer Protocol. Since most SSH servers already support this protocol it is very easy to set up: i.e. on the server side there's nothing to do.
  • qterm
    --a BBS client for X Window System. It supports telnet, ssh1 and ssh2 protocols
  • gftp
    --gFTP features: * file transfer queues, passive and non-passive file transfers, drag-n-drop support, support for SSH and SSH2 file transfers
nautilus-open-terminal
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/jaunt ... bug/312396
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/333462
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubunt ... 23769.html
--I don't know exactly which one (bug) it is , but it is there somewhere..

Checking terminal, as I say I don't know if the bugs are fixed or which version can be installed (patched)
In terminal, shows
apt show nautilus-open-terminal
Package: nautilus-open-terminal
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 0.9-3ubuntu1
Description:
nautilus plugin for opening terminals in arbitrary local paths nautilus-open-terminal is a proof-of-concept Nautilus extension which allows you to open a terminal in arbitrary local folders.

sshmenu options..
http://sshmenu.sourceforge.net/articles/terminator.html
https://launchpad.net/terminator
Terminator allows multiple terminals in one window. Using SSHMenu with Terminator instead of Gnome-Terminal allows a user to split their terminal window and to see multiple terminals at a single glance (i.e. without swapping between tabs).
dunnie
Level 1
Level 1

Re: opening a terminal via nautilus on a sftp/ssh device

Post by dunnie »

Thanks DrHu,

Confirmed then as a bug in nautilus open terminal, which I thought was the case. But given the date of this bug was reported (ie 2009-02-23), amazed that no new update has been released which fixes it. Both myself and my friends who have to access several servers at root level would put this in the urgent category... at least 4 months and counting for a fix release :(

I hope these buggy on release packages aren't going to be a norm, as it is one of the reasons why I ditched certain well known commercial OS in the past - everything seemed to be tried and tested in Linux before the packages entered the 'stable' category, it is obvious in this instance that nautilus-open-terminal should have stayed in unstable beta testing before it was rushed through for jaunty. Another example of a package which seems to have gone backwards on Jaunty/Gloria is the VLC video player - half the time now it won't play videos which it played perfectly well on the older version, even with the same but current video codecs - I get a blank screen (confirmed with other users of Gloria too, even using different graphic cards/hardware).

I hope Ubuntu aren't rolling out new distro updates just for marketing purposes, because if these bugs/backward moves continue, I can see a time when I might have to either ditch the Ubuntu based distros altogether or buy an Apple Mac!

Thanks.. hoping an update comes out asap.
emorrp1

Re: [invalid] open terminal via nautilus on a sftp/ssh device

Post by emorrp1 »

Marked as [invalid] since the app's description (as in DrHu's post above) clearly states that it is only to be used for local folders, so remote folder support is at best a feature request, and since it's labelled as "proof of concept", it's unlikely to deliver. As for how old the "bug" is, where on earth did you get the February date from? If you're going to start claiming things like that when the first post in this topic is July, then you'd need to provide urls to actually get me concerned.

Return to “Beginner Questions”