Gloria Mint 7 & Anti virus

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nigalius

Gloria Mint 7 & Anti virus

Post by Nigalius »

Hi...

I have recently installed Linux Mint 7 Gloria on to a second computer.I am looking round for a free anti virus programme like the one I use on windows which is AVG. Could anyone tell me of a good free anti virus proggy that I can download for Gloria. Also, I would like to know of a paid for anti virus proggy too that I will buy if I decide to keep linux. Please could someone send me the two links to these to programes that I am after.

Many Thanks

Nigel
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Gloria Mint 7 & Anti virus

Post by Husse »

Unless you send email (as a server) to Windows clients there is no need for an antivirus program in Linux - forget about it
I know it 's hard if you have used Windows for a long time
You could always install Avast and do a scan now and then (or Avira)
Nigalius

Post by Nigalius »

Hi Husse...

Thanks very much for that fast reply. I am going to ask a question that is going to make me look a fool now...
What do you mean be send an e-mail (as a server)? Its the as a server bit that I dont understand.

I have only had Linux on for one day at the moment but am very impressed with it. I am also quite chuffed that I found out all on my own how to network it to my windows computer.

Thank You

Nigel
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

The only real need for an anti-malware program of any kind in Linux is to scan files you want to share with people still using Windows so their systems are not infected. Malware that cannot affect a Linux system may be attached to a file you download. If you then share that file over a network with a Windows user, their computer acquires the malware. Therefore, it is considered polite to scan any files before you share them. Avast free or Avira are good for this. Also Clam AV and its gui frontend Clamtk are available through Synaptic Package Manager.
lexon

Post by lexon »

I have been using Linux for five years and have no anti virus applications. My Linux path is below. I use web based Yahoo email and Google web based email which have excellent anti virus for emails.

lexon
Shaddix

Post by Shaddix »

you can't be infected by virusses, a good firewall is on your modem/router and not on your computer, so you don't need to install any security add-ons :)
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

NineBreaker1986 wrote:ive just got Gloria today. Better than windows. by far. and i am perfectly safe from malware, viruses, hacking software. i do a lot of online banking, buying online. are you guys sure my laptop is safe without and Internet security or AV software?

Many Thanks

NineBreaker1986
That sort of thing is secured by the website (particularly, using the https protocol).
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Nigalius wrote:Hi Husse...
Thanks very much for that fast reply. I am going to ask a question that is going to make me look a fool now... What do you mean be send an e-mail (as a server)? Its the as a server bit that I dont understand.
I am sure he''ll get back to you, but the general meaning would be that being a mail server sending email to client computers in a network (the Internet being the best example), means you have to be concerned about checking those email messages for viruses, in order to protect the client computers
--which should also do their own checks, just to be sure
Most free email services, gmail, yahoo, outlook as well as your own ISP connection all usually scan email for viruses; and not just email, other file types such as images (.jpeg .jpg or .png), .pdf
Linux doesn't need the service, but windows does, so we all get stuck with email scans..

This is the reason, that you might sometimes see clamav or other anti-virus software being suggested for reading email messages form a windows email sever (like their exchange system), in order to protect the Linux clients (but really in order to prevent the Linux client from just passing the virus payload further into the network)
--since almost all viruses will only affect windows OS clients and their particular software (outlook, exchange) and so on..
Last edited by DrHu on Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Seems this is an old topic coming to life
One important addition
Javascript in the browser can be dangerous on any operating system - use Firefox with the NoScript addon
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Hi,

I've been using Linux for about a year now, I don't have any Anti-Virus , I use Hotmail through Thunderbird so do I need an Anti-Virus for sending e-mails or does Thunderbird have a good enough virus scanner so that I don't need one?

I hardly ever send e-mails to people, but I mostly send them to my Mum who knows as much about computers as I do about chatting up the ladies (nothing ;)) so would it be a good idea to install an Anti-Virus so that her computer doesn't get infected, not that I'd deliberately send her a virus but just in case?
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
Husse

Post by Husse »

If you send (not reply or forward) emails form Linux the recipient is at no risk
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

so would it be a good idea to install an Anti-Virus so that her computer doesn't get infected,
Only if she is on a M$ win system - otherwise - NO - it's not necessary.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Beginner Questions”