Troubles with Mint Linux 7 and - Jaunty Jackalope.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Troubles with Mint Linux 7 and - Jaunty Jackalope.

Postby Foxy on Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:43 am

Hello to all at Mint Linux Forums - I would be eternally grateful if anyone could help me with my problem of getting Linux Mint 7 to load and run, even as a live distro.

I have been running Mint 6 Felicia successfully for some time now and would like to try Gloria, which I downloaded and burned to a CD, a practice I am quite happy with and have used often before.

On attempting to run the new distro, the 'choose language' screen appears, followed by the words 'starting up' and 'loading, please wait'. Sadly, however long I wait, nothing further happens and there is no flashing of the IDE indicator or the DVD drive indicator.

My PC is reasonably modern, having a Dual Core Intel processor, an NVidia 8400 GS graphics card and 1 GB of RAM, which the test says is OK. Oddly enough, the disk works fine on my wife's Windows PC, which is a little more up to date than mine, but with a slower processor but the same graphics and memory.

Whenever I start up Felicia, a message, saying something like 'Unexpected IRQ trap at Vector 9' appears briefly before the OS loads and runs - is this significant? If so, does anyone have any suggestion as to how I should proceed, or do I need to bite the bullet and buy a new PC to run the newer Linux distros like Gloria and Jaunty Jackalope?

I know a little about PCs and have 'been inside' once or twice, but I have to admit to being stuck with this particular problem and I have to admit I don't know what an IRQ is.

If I should need to invest in a new PC, which I'd rather not have to at the minute, could anyone recommend a suitable specification so that I won't suffer similar troubles in the future.

Sorry to be a 'newbie pest', but I thought I'd give the Forums a try before breaking open the piggy bank :oops: .

Thanks in advance,

Bob (foxy).
Foxy
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Troubles with Mint Linux 7 and - Jaunty Jackalope.

Postby Lantesh on Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:09 am

IRQ translates as interrupt request, which is how your processor talks to your other hardware devices over the bus. Every piece of hardware has what I guess you could call an IRQ address. It sounds like you've got a hardware device that is somehow getting in the way of the installation process. My advice would be to disconnect anything that isn't absolutely necessary for the PC to function, and try running the install again. You might even need to go so far as to remove PCI cards you have installed inside the PC. You can then re-connect everything after Mint is done installing.
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Postby DrHu on Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:31 am

Foxy wrote:Whenever I start up Felicia, a message, saying something like 'Unexpected IRQ trap at Vector 9' appears briefly before the OS loads and runs -
The OS loads and runs, and seems fine to you in its functions
  • desktop appears
  • you can logon
    --connect to the Internet
  • run any applications installed
If so, then probably would be no problem with next version of this distribution, as your hardware seems to work with the OS (Felicia)..
If it actually turns into a problem with the irqs'' that the OS cannot work around, some options are available as a boot parameter
irqpoll
pci=noapic
acpi=off
Lantesh wrote:My advice would be to disconnect anything that isn't absolutely necessary for the PC to function, and try running the install again
Can occur for the usual suspects, some of which you need to have installed
  • The usual suspects are devices like..
  • USB devices
  • Network devices (pci, usb)
  • Mouse (usb)
    --the standard ps2 is usually ok, since it has been a part of the normal PC components for so long
--and you could also change the bios from plug & play OS to non plug & play, either way if one or the other cause a problem
or switch the location of various pci cards, network, video; if possible
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby Foxy on Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:06 am

I would like to thank all those who took a look at my post, and particularly to Lantesh and DrHu for their kind suggestions; unfortunately, I still seem unable to get Gloria to even acknowledge my PC exists! I am heartened by Lantesh's saying that the next version might be OK with my kit and I shall wait until it comes out before delving deeper into things I don't really understand with Gloria.

Felicia always works well and does everything I need and ask of it, anyway, but it is a bit galling not to be able to join the 'leading edge'.

Thanks again - you're a great bunch :) !

Bob (foxy).
Foxy
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions