ATI Driver+HD3200=Hanging Display Preferences Dialogue

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

ATI Driver+HD3200=Hanging Display Preferences Dialogue

Postby iconoclast on Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:09 am

Hello, I'm a bit new to linux, I've used it to some success in the past but it never stuck. I always seem to come back every 8 months.

So recently I decided to install linux again, Mint 7; x64, formated and then installed the main edition.

I have a foxconn motherboard which uses the 780G chipset with the HD 3200 embedded graphics.

I install the ATI driver, reboot and things are fine. However if I open up the Display Preferences via the menu the dialogue starts to open, its not properly sized nor is it painted with any detail, just grey. The window hangs and the system starts hanging too, but not completely so; I can still open things, reboot, etc.
This problem happens with the x64 and main editions. With the default driver installed there are no experienced problems.

I have a number of questions....
1. How to solve this? Should I install the driver manually?
2. When I check /etc/X11/xorg.conf there are no resolution settings. If memory serves ubuntu likes to put this info elsewhere, but I can't remember where nor do I remember which files take precedence over which. I don't care if I can no longer use that dialogue, I just want to be able to change the resolution. So when editing those settings by hand where do I go and what do I do?
4. How does one uninstall the ATI driver?
5. When I have an open program/window which is causing the system to hang, what is the best way to kill it (and hopefully restore the system)?

I know plenty of these questions have probably been asked elsewhere for this and other distros.... I have no issue finding answers posted re other distros though I'd also like to know the linux mint way, too. I don't know how much it's different from ubuntu under the hood.

Anyhow I'd appreciate answers or links to answers; thanks in advance/
iconoclast
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: ATI Driver+HD3200=Hanging Display Preferences Dialogue

Postby iconoclast on Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:43 pm

Well I've found some answers.

2. after looking up the syntax I configured /etc/X11/xorg.conf with a screen resolution. The settings in the file over-road settings elsewhere; thought that is not necessarily to say it is the top overriding conf file.

5. the system monitor was adequate in killing the Gnome Display Dialogiue though it took about 2+ min after killing it for the process to disappear and the system to return to normal speed. I suppose the terminal would be faster but I can't remember them anymore, hopefully I won't need them often anyhow. It'd be nice if the system monitor was always in higher priority to facilitate the killing rampaging processes.
iconoclast
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions