RESOLVED: Help after update

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

RESOLVED: Help after update

Postby kensai111 on Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:27 pm

Hello friends, I'm a total Linux newbie so treat me with kid gloves. Linux Mint 7 has been working beautifully for me until the last 2 automatic updates (I don't understand the typical technical jargon of linux and just hit update all). Sometime inbetween or after the last 2 updates I am unable to access gmail.com or login to facebook.com these are the only two sites affected and there have been no ill effects otherwise. I disabled my firewall thinking that was the problem and it still gave me the spinning icon that it was trying to connect to the website but would never connect. I thought maybe firefox was the culprit and installed Opera and received the same treatment. Any ideas or information I can provided to get some help in this situation? (if it involves anything via command prompt make sure to give me the code, remember, kid gloves) Thanks in advance for a speedy response.

Cheers,
Kensai
Last edited by kensai111 on Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kensai111
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Help after update

Postby richyrich on Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:41 am

Try rebooting your router.
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Postby kensai111 on Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:22 am

Rebooted as well making sure the firewall is off for now. I'm also dual-booting windows xp home. I have no troubles accessing either site from the windows side, only Linux Mint 7. Any other ideas/suggestions on resolving this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Kensai
kensai111
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kensai111 on Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:42 pm

Sorry for the double post:
RESOLVED - I tried the ubuntu forums as well with no avail. After a bit of time at #ubuntu we came across the culprit a corrupt install of avahi-daemon, a simple reinstall through the package manager resulted in an instant fix o.0. Yeah so if anyone else experiences the same problem, that's what worked for me.

Cheers,
Kensai
kensai111
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions