Can I make a seperate partission for my data?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Can I make a seperate partission for my data?

Postby MounainVicar on Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:43 am

Iv not installed mint yet... but am getting closer to doing so.

In my XP instalation I have a c: partission that has xp and my programs on it and I have a d: partission that has all my data on it so that when I reinstall XP i can do owoth out loosing all my data.

Can I set up the same sort of thing in Mint and is this necessry?... if so how?

Thanks!!!

P.S. When it commes to updating mint to what ever comes out after Gloria...will it be a case of starting frm scratch agin or o the updates just add the new stuff and keep ll your old settings...
MounainVicar
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can I make a seperate partission for my data?

Postby bobsmith on Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:34 am

I, too, have my data on a separate partition. Actually, I have identical copies of all data on three separate partitions that are on three separate drives, with one of those drives being an external drive that I sync once a month with the other two. When I installed Mint, I just left all data where it was. I simply created a partition for Mint and installed it (I dual boot with XP). Mint reads and writes to ntfs partitions just fine, so you'll be able to access your existing data from Mint.

When updating Mint I prefer a clean install (plus I like to tinker and have the time), so I always start from scratch. As I learn how to do things I write directions in a big text file so that when I reinstall I can just go through that list without needing to remember how I did various things. I find that redoing everything with a clean reinstall helps me become more comfortable with Linux. It's probably not a bad idea to keep your home directory (where most of your settings are) on a separate partition in case your system gets hosed (I don't, but I probably should). And many have a third partition for swap (I don't, and my system works just fine).
Linux Mint 17 Mate, 16GB RAM, 64 bit Intel CPU
bobsmith
Level 3
Level 3

Postby markcynt on Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:55 am

Can I set up the same sort of thing in Mint and is this necessry?... if so how?

Yes, or you can use your Windows data partition. If you make a separate data partition use ntfs format.

P.S. When it commes to updating mint to what ever comes out after Gloria...will it be a case of starting frm scratch agin or o the updates just add the new stuff and keep ll your old settings...

You don't have to start from scratch as a rule.
P5N-E SLI, Core2Duo E6850 3GHZ X 2
2 GB DDR2 800MHZ
EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
2x320GB Hitachi
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
markcynt
Level 6
Level 6

Postby MounainVicar on Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:18 pm

Great!
MounainVicar
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions