how to boot from a c.d

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

how to boot from a c.d

Postby connor2 on Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:19 am

hello.

i've been trying to get wireless working on linux mint to no avail so i'm going to try an old windows c.d

i've put a windows c.d in the tray. how do i boot from it ? there appears to be no options i can find. i presume it's one of the f number keys. google isn't much use either.

thanks

connor
connor2
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: how to boot from a c.d

Postby bennachie on Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:59 am

Mint is usually very good indeed at dealing with wireless connections, so it might be worth checking whether anyone on the forums has a solution to that problem. You will need to tell us what kind of machine you are using, and what sort of wi-fi card (or dongle) you are using, and exactly what you have done to try to get the connection to work. For example, does Mint see some connections, but refuses to let you connect Are you trying to access a hidden network?

Almost anything is likely to be less hassle than installing Windows from scratch (and in any case, you refer to an "old windows CD - if it predates XP, I would expect it to have some major difficulties in dealing with wi-fi).

The exact process of booting from a CD depends on the BIOS of your computer (although most of them are set up to boot automatically from a bootable CD). The most common keys for changing the boot order are probably ESC or F2, but there have been all too many exceptions over the years. You need to insert the CD while you are powered up (in Mint is fine). Then shut down. Then hold down the relevant key while pushing the power button. In some special cases (the eeePC range, for example, if you happen to have enabled the so-called "boot-booster") you may have to press the key (F2 in that particular case) repeatedly while powering up in order to get a response. Sorting through the BIOS interface will bring back memories of the 1970s, for those of us who are old enough to have been involved in computing at that time.
bennachie
Level 2
Level 2

Postby connor2 on Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:00 am

hey. thanks for the reply

i did try the help forum. i even went so far as to carry my weighs a tonne computer and monitor to an ethernet port to download every update and wireless driver. lugged it all the way back and it still won't work. it's o.k though from what i understand even the geekiest of geeks can't get broadcom working on linux so i don't mind. as for old windows c.d i meant x.p.
connor2
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ibm450 on Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:10 am

have you tried the "windows wireless driver" option? its a god sent program / Ndiswrapper - the first thing that made me fall in love with LM
Asus UL50VT laptop ~ LM10 - Unity 12.04 - Win 7
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Postby DrHu on Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:47 pm

connor2 wrote:i've been trying to get wireless working on linux mint to no avail so i'm going to try an old windows c.d
i've put a windows c.d in the tray. how do i boot from it ? there appears to be no options i can find. i presume it's one of the f number keys. google isn't much use either.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994
--setup disks--

connor2 wrote:i did try the help forum. i even went so far as to carry my weighs a tonne computer and monitor to an ethernet port to download every update and wireless driver. lugged it all the way back and it still won't work. it's o.k though from what i understand even the geekiest of geeks can't get broadcom working on linux so i don't mind. as for old windows c.d i meant x.p.

as for old windows c.d i meant x.p
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222
Are you able to Boot up in windows XP yet or not ?
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Return to Newbie Questions