Skype on Linux Mint 7.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Skype on Linux Mint 7.

Postby vitchee on Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:14 pm

I've just installed Linux Mint 7 on my HP Pavilion 9000 laptop but I can not get my microphone to work with Skype(which I installed using mintInstall). I'm a newbie in Linux and I would greatly appreciate a step by step guide on how to make the microphone work. I've already read some solutions on other forums but none has worked for me. I still hope that somebody can solve the problem.
vitchee
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby vitchee on Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:29 pm

By the way, the microphone does not work at all.
vitchee
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Skype on Linux Mint 7.

Postby emorrp1 on Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:36 pm

Hello vitchee, and Welcome to Linux Mint. Unfortunately skype is a proprietary program which does not work exceedingly well under linux, e.g. I've found it doesn't work while flash is playing in firefox. The solution will largely depend on your hardware (post the output of the inxi command) and what's available in the drop-down list in the Sound settings. Do you get the "Cannot connect to sound server" error, or "Problem with audio playback"? How do you know the microphone isn't working, have you tested it with the echo service? Have you disabled the "allow skype to alter mixer levels" setting? You might also have the microphone muted, which you can check in the main volume control preferences. Other than knowing the more specific information, I'd basically try every sound setting combination you can within skype.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby badmotor on Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:14 pm

If you look in Synaptic there will be a couple of versions of Skype as well. Personally, I've always had more success with the Skype Static, or Skype Static-OSS versions.
badmotor
Level 4
Level 4

Postby kandieyman on Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:54 pm

Does you micrrphone plug into the microphone port or is it USB? You may be inclined to blame the microphone, but it may be your audio settings. Sypke tries to set them automatically, but that is not always very fortuitous. If you tell me what you use, I can tell you what you will liekly want to do.
kandieyman
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions