Acer Notebook Keyboard Issues

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Acer Notebook Keyboard Issues

Postby thecharredremain on Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:08 pm

Hi there,
I recently purchased an Acer Notebook. I installed Linux Ubuntu (not the notebook but the regular desktop install) and for some reason after the first couple hours, the key's on the keyboard starts messing up, typing random letters, and some keys don't even work. After reinstalling and going through the same issues, we switched to mint. Now it's doing the same problem, is there anyway we can take the keyboard driver from the notebook install and overwrite it? Any help or suggestions is much appreciated <3
thecharredremain
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Acer Notebook Keyboard Issues

Postby lagagnon on Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:27 pm

I would say you either have a keyboard hardware problem or you did not choose the correct keyboard mapping for that machine. When you boot, choose Recovery Mode, drop into a root terminal from the simple menu, then type:

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Follow the menus through to get yourself the correct keyboard mapping and then reboot the machine ("reboot").
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Return to Newbie Questions