BLACK SCREEN, HELP!!!!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

BLACK SCREEN, HELP!!!!

Postby elvinkruger on Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:53 am

I did a dual boot install with vista first(vista still works fine).
When I boot into Mint I get 2 errors on the black startup screen, MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC and MP-BIOS bug: #81(00000000) Found. Then when I proceed there is a quick blink of a black screen with a strip of the mint "with elegance came freedom" logos at the top,then a quick blink of a white/grey screen,then I get the Login screen,after I entered my password to login I get a black screen,and that is how it stays.

P.S. the dvd worked fine when I booted from it
elvinkruger
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: BLACK SCREEN, HELP!!!!

Postby DrHu on Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:53 am

You can use noapic on the grub bootloader
esc key gets you into the grub editor (minimal editor for temporay changes to grub boot)
http://www.aszurom.com/blog/2009/05/ubu ... r-entries/
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=861745
  • Either one of these items or all three, one of them will work
  • acpi=off noapic nolapic
nolapic, this one might not slow the system down if used, the others likely would (acpi=off noapic)

That (acpi=off, noapic, nolapic) should enable you to get an install done, however it (Mint) may still have an error; same error after successfully installing onto the hard drive..
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Re: BLACK SCREEN, HELP!!!!

Postby elvinkruger on Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:32 am

you need to tel me the stuff in layman's terms! Don't have a clue what you just told me :lol:
elvinkruger
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions