Installation from Vista: Success but explanation needed

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Installation from Vista: Success but explanation needed

Postby serethos on Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:41 am

I successfully installed Mint 6 from within Vista, thanks to the no-brainer installer. As target I choosed a second harddrive (the first
one is for Vista). The target drive was formatted NTFS - I expected the installer to act like the one from Ubunt asking which drive
should be partitioned or formated in linux format. No I have 15GB of installed Data on the second NTFS Drive. Does that mean, tha
Mint hast installed itself on the NTFS drive? What about the swap partition? During the install process I thought I would see the message,
that an ext-partition would be formatted.

Can anyone explain to me, how the installation worked?

My goal was to let the installer partition the second drive into 3 partitions:
1. for mint in ext-format
2. swap partition
3. the big rest as fat32 exchange partition

To partition the drive should be no problem I hope, but I ask myself if I need to convert the mint partition to ext ..?
serethos
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installation from Vista: Success but explanation needed

Postby altair4 on Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:39 am

I'm probably wrong but I think your confusing min4win with a real install. If you "installed Mint 6 from within Vista" then you used mint4win. Think of this like a virtual machine:

The Windows partition where you installed Mint is available as /host within Mint. All the other partitions will be available under /media.

If your in Vista then the "Mint Install" is located at somethink like C:\mint\disks\root.disk or whatever drive you installed it into.

Again, I may have misunderstood the question.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Installation from Vista: Success but explanation needed

Postby serethos on Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:09 am

Thanks for your reply. I think you are right. I was very surprised as the windows installer popped up after
burning the iso. After a (very quick) search via inet I found the statement, that the installer is the same
as booting and installing. But this does not to seem right. So I will install it again using a fresh boot.
serethos
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions