Umask and bashrc file

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Umask and bashrc file

Postby green_eyes on Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:46 am

Hi guys,
I'm new to Linux and Gloria. I have 2 questions that I wish you to help me:
1. In Ubuntu and Gloria, where can I set umask? I found that in ~/.profile there is a line like this: # umask 022. But I think it is a comment because of "#"
2. I used to set alias in ~/.basrc file in Ubuntu. But now there is no bashrc file in my home directory in Gloria. Did you moved it to /etc/bash.bashrc ?

Thank you!
green_eyes
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Umask and bashrc file

Postby emorrp1 on Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:09 am

1) it is by default disabled by a comment, as it's identical to the global umask in /etc/profile. You can customise it by uncommenting and changing the number (e.g. in mine I use a 027 umask)
2) nope, there just isn't one by default, create a file named .bashrc in your home directory with all the aliases in and it'll be picked up automatically when you next open the terminal.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Newbie Questions