Im officially Done with Windoze

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Im officially Done with Windoze

Postby theevilone6620 on Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:53 pm

Its official! I am from here on out strictly a Linux user :D So now my question has to do with expanding my partition to give Mint more room. When i installed Mint I had only allocated 40GB for the install and 8GB for the swap file. I thought the swap seemed kind of large but i read in numerous spots to make it at least twice the size of your physical ram. Which mine is 4GB. Anyways, I have a 400 GB harddrive and like I said only around 40 GB for Mint and Vista is using the rest. I plan on keeping Vista on my system so I can still play Guild Wars since its not compatible with Wine. So I need some advice in how to shrink down the Vista partition to just enough space to run it and have a few games installed. Im thinking just switching it out as the way it is now. Leaving around 30 or 40 GB for Vista and the rest for Mint. Ive tried to find a solution on Google but have read way to many differing opinions. So do you guys think I should use Gparted off a live cd or actually shrink it down iin Vista? I know I played hell getting Vista to partition my drive in order to have a second partition for Mint in the first place. At the time I had one partition and Vistas partition tool said I had x amount of space to use as a partition, a huge amount I cant remember exactly how much, but it would not let me make the partition even only a 20GB partition!! Man windoze suxx... Anyways i ended up using Easeus partition manager to make the partition because at the time I didnt no Gparted was on the install disc for Mint. So fellas, what do you think my best method of attack is to solve this problem and finally put Bill and his BS OS in the backseat. :P
Check out my blog at http://mintguru.blogspot.com/If anyone would like to contribute to the project send me a message..
Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/LinuxDruid
theevilone6620
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Im officially Done with Windoze

Postby tomast on Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:27 pm

I had just done that with XP & Mint7 on one harddrive.
I was just messing around trying to see how bad I could mess up
an old computer I was playing with.
First I booted the live CD and opened the Partition editor.
Then I "moved" the XP partition to the end of the drive and reduced the size
from 100+ GB to 40 GB. (I was sure it would trash XP .....)
Probably should not have "moved" XP partition but I wanted to see what would happen.
Then I did it I did a fresh install of Mint at the begining of the drive with 256 MB Swap and rest for Mint
and the Grub was figured out by Mint for me.
Everything worked fine for me.
Of course I did "defrag" on XP before begining.

The only problem I can forsee is that if Mint is already installed it may
bug out your Grub.
It seems resizing partitions is not as dangerous as I had expected.
The only problem is it took HOURS...............

Things like this are just too easy ....
I demand more Problems ;-)

T
tomast
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Fred on Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:57 pm

theevilone6620,

A warning. As tomast pointed out, you can move an XP partition with gparted but you can't move a Vista or Windows 7 partition with gparted. If you try, your Windows partition will be unbootable. Contrary to popular belief you can shrink a Vista partition with gparted if you don't disturb the first part of the partition. Shrink from the end of the partition. The part of the Windows partition that is furtherest from the top of the partition table. Having said that, most people find it less risky to use the Vista tool to shrink their Windows partition. It tends not to let you make mistakes. :-) Do the rest of your partitioning with gparted, either from the menu in the Mint install disk or from gparted live CD iso.

And most importantly, defrag your Windows partition at least once, preferably twice before you start.

You might want to look at the post below to get a few ideas about partitioning. I suggest you leave your Vista install where it is however.

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=11872

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby theevilone6620 on Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:41 pm

Well unfortunately I have my Mint installed at the end of my drive. I would like to move it to the front of the drive as ive heard this makes things a whole lot quicker. Seeing as I will primarily be using Mint from here on out then it makes no sense for me to leave it at the end of the drive were it will not perform as well as it can. However, I truly do not feel like having to reinstall Mint after I played hell trying to get my sound to work. Another thing, shouldnt I be able to just shrink down the vista partition to its bare minimum and then use Gparted to expand the Mint partition to encompass all that free space?? I know Vista does not like you to mess with its partition even when you drive is huge and its practivally nothing but free space :x I am quite confused as to how to exactly go about this now. I know that Easeus will infact shrink the partition, hopefully at least, I am just unsure as to how easy its going to be to expand the partition for Mint. And also do you know if since Mint is at the end of the drive, and I will be expanding it will that pretty much leave me no choice but to reinstall it? Also Ive read about creating a seperate Home partition in order to prevent losing everything during upgrade time... Is this true???
Check out my blog at http://mintguru.blogspot.com/If anyone would like to contribute to the project send me a message..
Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/LinuxDruid
theevilone6620
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions