NVIDIA drivers - necessary?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

NVIDIA drivers - necessary?

Postby Temporary Saint on Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:00 pm

With every how-to post I read for installing Linux one of the first things to do once the initial install is finished is to install NVIDIA/ATI drivers if you have those graphics adapters in your system.

What is the down side of not installing the proprietary drivers and keeping the default drivers loaded during the initial install? I get the resolution I want with them. Since I'm not interested in using Compiz or any applications that require advanced graphics (so far) will I get any benefit with them? Would videos play more smoothly?

Steve
Endeavor to be unique; everyone else does.
Temporary Saint
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: NVIDIA drivers - necessary?

Postby DrHu on Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:17 pm

Temporary Saint wrote:What is the down side of not installing the proprietary drivers and keeping the default drivers loaded during the initial install? ...will I get any benefit with them? Would videos play more smoothly?
    Speed of display
    Support for newer video cards..
    Lack of feature, special effects..
--those are the main ones, and all I can think of at the moment

Would videos play more smoothly
That one is possible
--you will only know if it matters to you if you try it (installing the binary driver)
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby richyrich on Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:38 pm

Hi Steve,
1) I would update only if the "Hardware Drivers" application showed a recommended driver.
2) The old adage . . If it ain't broke . . . :wink:

regards, Richard
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Postby linuxviolin on Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:16 am

Temporary Saint, you must install proprietary drivers if you want to use Compiz or some apps with 3-D functionality. If not you can stay with the 2-D default drivers without no problems. I hate Compiz and never, for now, I use a 3-D app and I use exclusively the 'nv' driver for my nvidia card with absolutely no problems, even for my resolution of 1600x1200 (and I can go even higher!)!
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Newbie Questions