Cron Not Running

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Cron Not Running

Postby msastin on Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:00 pm

I setup some things to run in my cron, however nothing happens. So I found in some forum where someone said to put this:

date +"%D %r `echo Cron completed`" >> /tmp/cron_job.log

into it and so I did that, restarted cron, and when I cat /tmp/cron_job.log I get the nothing. I've got this cron to run every minute.

Here is my cron script

Code: Select all
* * * * * /home/msastin/Desktop/Linux_Apps/wallpaper-rotate/changer >/dev/null 2>&1 #JOB_ID_1

* * * * * date +"%D %r `echo Cron completed`" >> /tmp/cron_job.log

and under my processes it shows that it's running:

Code: Select all
msastin  22851  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        Z    19:38   0:00 [gksu] <defunct>
root     24697  0.0  0.0  19972  1112 ?        Ss   19:56   0:00 /usr/sbin/cron
msastin  24849  0.0  0.0   4024   592 ?        S    19:59   0:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/gnome-schedule

so now I'm kind of stuck on what to do. I even tried reinstalling cron and that didn't get the job done. Any suggestions?
msastin
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Cron Not Running

Postby Husse on Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:51 pm

On the one hand you write
I've got this cron to run every minute.

and on the other
that didn't get the job done

So it's not clear what happens, for a moment I thought it was that you did not get anything written to the log....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions