Blank application windows

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Blank application windows

Postby shah81 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:08 am

Hi,
I just changed from Kubuntu to Mint 7 two days ago and its great!

One problem though, is that sometimes when I open any application, it appears as a black screen, only the window title is available. This could be anything - control center, the start menu, firefox - anything!

Before, if maximized it would come blank and after a few minutes, sometimes longer, I could see everything. Now even if its not fully maximized its black / blank.

Does anyone know why this happens? I don't think its anything to do with my graphics card because it 'eventually' becomes okay most of the time. Could it be to do with Compiz settings? I put it on Custom first, then changed it to Advanced.

Another problem I have which is probably unrelated, is that the x server randomly restarts itself sometimes. This happened when using Kubuntu 9.04 too. Just suddenly restarts, and seconds later the login screen is there again.

Any help given would be appreciated. I'm a newbie, so if you need any outputs of commands posted, let me know. Thanks in advance!
shah81
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Blank application windows

Postby lagagnon on Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:35 am

I would guess that you do not have the correct video driver loaded and are not able to render stuff using glx and 3d stuff from Compiz. What video card (lspci) do you have? If it is an ATI or nVidia did you load their proper drivers? (Menu, Control Center, Hardware, Hardware Drivers)
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Return to Newbie Questions