Blank application windows

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Blank application windows

Postby shah81 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:09 am

Hi,
I just changed from Kubuntu to Mint 7 two days ago and its great!

One problem though, is that sometimes when I open any application, it appears as a black screen, only the window title is available. This could be anything - control center, the start menu, firefox - anything!

Before, if maximized it would come blank and after a few minutes, sometimes longer, I could see everything. Now even if its not fully maximized its black / blank.

Does anyone know why this happens? I don't think its anything to do with my graphics card because it 'eventually' becomes okay most of the time. Could it be to do with Compiz settings? I put it on Custom first, then changed it to Advanced.

Another problem I have which is probably unrelated, is that the x server randomly restarts itself sometimes. This happened when using Kubuntu 9.04 too. Just suddenly restarts, and seconds later the login screen is there again.

Any help given would be appreciated. I'm a newbie, so if you need any outputs of commands posted, let me know. Thanks in advance!
shah81
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Blank application windows

Postby fwc on Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:50 am

The KDE edition is still a release candidate and not fully developed. It may still be a little buggy. Can you provide a screenshot?
fwc
Level 4
Level 4

Postby shah81 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:14 pm

hey, thanks for replying.
attached are some screenshots...
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (30.77 KiB) Viewed 275 times
Screenshot-1.png
Screenshot-1.png (93.31 KiB) Viewed 275 times
Screenshot-2.png
when not maximized its viewable...
Screenshot-2.png (139.56 KiB) Viewed 275 times

hope it helps! :)
shah81
Level 1
Level 1

Postby fwc on Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:33 pm

To start out with, I'm 99% sure that is Gnome (unless you have some really weird theme for KDE). For two, its difficult to tell what would be causing the problem but if you could provide your graphics card information someone may be able to help. Special drivers may be needed or there is a chance that turning down your Compiz settings would help. If worse comes to worse, you could try downloading XFCE and using that as a window manager.
fwc
Level 4
Level 4

Postby shah81 on Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:46 am

Hi,
Yes, I'm using Gnome. Sorry, not sure why you thought I was using KDE. I USED to use Kubuntu. :)

Its still happening. I'm going to put the Appearance settings to None and see if that works. Now its on normal and its still happening.

My graphics card - lspci -v

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV43 [GeForce Go 6200/6400] (rev a1)
Subsystem: Packard Bell B.V. Device c00f
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
Memory at c0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
Memory at 90000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
Memory at c1000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
[virtual] Expansion ROM at c2000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: nvidia
Kernel modules: nvidia, nvidiafb

Thanks!
shah81
Level 1
Level 1

Postby fwc on Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:00 am

Hmm, well, I am pretty stumped. Make sure you are using the latest drivers under Menu>Administration>Hardware Drivers and maybe try changing the settings in Menu>Administration>Nvidia X Server Settings
fwc
Level 4
Level 4

Postby shah81 on Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:05 am

hey, i changed my appearance settings to None and its fine.
not sure what effects etc I'm missing, so i guess its okay enough. 'Normal' atleast would have been nice.

Yes, I am using the latest driver.
thanks for your help anyway! :)
shah81
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions