Restoring GRUB [solved]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Restoring GRUB [solved]

Postby fwc on Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:38 am

Hello,
I just installed XP on a separate partition than my Mint but it has erased Grub so I was wondering how to restore it using the live CD. I went to the documentation in Ubuntu for restoring Grub but hit a snag in the instructions.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Recov ... ingWindows
It says under the section of "Using the Ubuntu Desktop/Live CD"
You also need to mount your /boot partition if you made one, like this :
Code: Select all
mount /dev/sda1 /media/root/boot

To make sure it was the correct one, run ls /media/root/boot, which should output something like this :
Code: Select all
config-2.6.18-3-686      initrd.img-2.6.18-3-686.bak  System.map-2.6.18-3-686
grub                     lost+found                   vmlinuz-2.6.18-3-686
initrd.img-2.6.18-3-686  memtest86+.bin

I don't understand why you need to mount the boot partition under the partition that is already mounted. If I go into the folder without following the step to mount like this "mount /dev/sda1 /media/root/boot" then I get the files they list anyway.

Can someone please help explain whether I need to mount the boot partition or not; and if I do, how to determine which is the boot partition. Common sense tells me its the one marked with the star when I run fdisk -l but that is also my Windows partition. I hope its not complicated and thanks very much.

Edit: Also, at the bottom it says install it to the partition where you want to install GRUB. Which partition is preferable?
Last edited by fwc on Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
fwc
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Restoring GRUB

Postby linuxviolin on Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:21 am

Try with this page
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Restoring GRUB

Postby fwc on Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:36 am

Thanks its solved.
fwc
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions