Mint Lags ?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Mint Lags ?

Postby vectorf1 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:03 am

Um first of all i have to say i tried to install it trough the boot but it errored after the linux mint load screen and it gave me very much errors they appeard in a list more and more there where some numbers at the begining of the line... so i quit and installed it like a app. trough my windows xp which i got bored of... so i installed it on a clean partion and it was fine at first... started playing with it around and it started lagging badly then i rebooted and it was fine at times and then laggy again next day the same... i dont think its an issue with my hardware (amd athlon x2 4400+, 2gbs of ram ...) so i just deleted it ...
then somewhere i read about oses and stuff and there was linux in the list and it was writen FAT32 for it to boot and stuff and NTFS only for reading so now i think thats the issue of all those errors at the begining :( but now when i try to format it trough windows it gives me some stupid error :
and yes i know thats not the write place to ask that but do you think its NTFS was causing all that errors and maybe you guys give me some other suggestions...
thanks

ps sorry for my bad english :roll:
vectorf1
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint Lags ?

Postby lagagnon on Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:19 am

If you really want Mint and to see how great it is please install it properly - not this nonsense installing on a Windows partition (my humble opinion). You are doing yourself and Linux a great disservice installing it in that manner.

Please burn yourself a clean valid Mint CD, use the Mint installer to reduce the size of your Windows partition by at least 10GB to give space for Mint and then install Mint properly. There is an install guide in the Mint Manual at the website.
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Postby RedWagon on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:13 pm

NTFS works in Linux, but it performs horribly compared to ext2 and ext3. Linux works best with everything ext3.
RedWagon
Level 5
Level 5

Postby vectorf1 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:25 pm

@ RedWagon yeah i know ;)
what do you mean by ext 1,2,3? :roll:
vectorf1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gibbs1984 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:33 pm

Ext 2 & Ext 3 are the file system that Linux uses whereas Windows uses NTFS.
Linux Mint 17 (Cinnamon) 32bit.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Postby RedWagon on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:34 pm

ext is the filesystem that Linux uses. The 2 and 3 at the end is just the version of ext.
ext2 used to be the standard filesystem for linux, but was replaced by ext3 which added journaling. ext4 is available now, but is still considered in beta and not stable enough for everyday use.
RedWagon
Level 5
Level 5

Postby vectorf1 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:47 pm

so how do i do that ? :shock: i burnt that iso at x10 lowest possible and when i tried to boot from it, it gave me a bunch of errors ahh ok nvm ill give it a try later
vectorf1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby RedWagon on Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:07 pm

write down the errors and post them here
RedWagon
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions