How to set proxy for diferent connections?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

How to set proxy for diferent connections?

Postby heresomehow on Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:37 am

Hi, I'm changing from XP into linux, and I'm trying it with LinuxMint. I got here just for the fresh look of the KDE flavor.

I set up LinuxMint Gloria KDE RC1 on my laptop, which I use at work with a wired ethernet connection, and I need to setup a PROXY for it to work. At home I use my wireless DSL without a PROXY. How can I configure the system so it automagically uses the proxy settings at work and the direct connection at home?

In XP what I did, was to setup 2 users, one for work and one for home, the settings of the work user included the proxy and proxy user & password, the other were direct. I think the same approach in linux won't work, because the security of files and such would be too much to handle for a newbie like me (I think).

The connection at work is much much faster than at home, so I want to be able to update/upgrade my system at work. Thanx.
heresomehow
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to set proxy for diferent connections?

Postby RedWagon on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:10 pm

I'm sure there's a way to easily do this, I'm just not sure right now but something I do know that people have done is use the wired connection at work and then use the wireless at home and everywhere else.
RedWagon
Level 5
Level 5

Postby heresomehow on Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:47 pm

Surely that's what I want, but I have to go to several places to enable/disable proxy settings each time I switch connection. I don't see how you couple the wired connection to a set of proxy settings, and the wireless a set of no proxy settings.
heresomehow
Level 1
Level 1

Postby RedWagon on Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:48 pm

huh, I thought there was a way to do it for the whole connection. Either way, creating a second user for work would let you set everything one and leave it.
RedWagon
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions