Switch from Kubuntu to Gloria

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Switch from Kubuntu to Gloria

Postby pasQualle on Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:34 pm

Hey everybody,

so this is my first post here, and I think there will be some more over time. I'm using Linux for more than a year now, but I still consider myself a neebie. I tried Ubuntu and now Kubuntu is running my machine. But I wanna come back to Gnome, and I think Linux Mint could be my distribution.

But, and that's the reason for this post, I don't really know the bet way to switch without loosing any of my stuff.

My /home is on it's own partition, and .... you need to know more to help me out?

Thanks!

Pascal
pasQualle
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Switch from Kubuntu to Gloria

Postby RedWagon on Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:45 pm

If your home directory is on it's own partition you should be able to format / without loosing anything. If you are running any servers you might want to grab the configs for those /etc/samba/smb.conf /ect/ssh/sshd_config are two that I always backup, but only because I specifically set those up. If you aren't running any servers/don't know what I'm talking about then it's all good.
When switching versions of Mint keeping your home directory will keep most of your program settings, but since KDE tends to use it's own KDE-specific apps most of your stuff will be unconfigured when you install.
RedWagon
Level 5
Level 5

Postby DrHu on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:00 pm

After you switch, if you have any KDE apps, you could install them into Mint/Gnome to collect your data (if a Gnome app can't use it )
--then switch to a Gnome equivalent
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby pasQualle on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:19 pm

Wow, that was quick. That's the first of probably many positive things about Mint and its community. As a (k)ubuntu user I'm not used to such a reply speed :D

RedWagon wrote:If your home directory is on it's own partition you should be able to format / without loosing anything.

Ok, that's what I thought. Is there a need to delete and create a new swap, or can I just use the old one?

DrHu wrote:After you switch, if you have any KDE apps, you could install them into Mint/Gnome to collect your data (if a Gnome app can't use it )
--then switch to a Gnome equivalent

Yeah, it's mostly KDE apps. The thing I'm mostly worried about is my email correspondence. So, you think there's an easy way to import all my emails into thunderbird (as I understood it, this is the default client) from Kmail? Oh, and what about the contacts? Anything else is not that important.

And I think it should be no problem to install Mathematica and MatLab with Mint, right? Same for the Firefox Bookmarks and passwords?

Since these are the most important things, I could copy all hidden folders in /home onto my external harddrive, and only retrieve the stuff I need. The rest can be delete. This way the system don't get overloaded with unused crap.
pasQualle
Level 1
Level 1

Postby RedWagon on Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:52 pm

I could copy all hidden folders in /home onto my external harddrive, and only retrieve the stuff I need. The rest can be delete. This way the system don't get overloaded with unused crap.

That's actually a really good idea and I was going to suggest it, but didn't know your skill level. If you were really new, sometimes suggesting stuff like this can create more trouble than it's worth.

Some command line stuff that might make things easier:
Code: Select all
cd
ls -a
mkdir configs
mv .* configs
ls -a

To move back:
Code: Select all
cd
mv configs/.whatever .
RedWagon
Level 5
Level 5

Postby pasQualle on Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:45 pm

Well, everything worked fine. Thanks for your help and see you around.
pasQualle
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions