Issues With SD Card (and a LED light)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Issues With SD Card (and a LED light)

Postby No One on Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:32 am

I'm having a couple problems with Mint 7 on an AA1. The problem seem to be that I bought an AA1 in the first place. Heh.

Wireless:
I've had kind of off and on issues with wireless. I tried to install the madwifi drivers and I've used the already present Atheros drivers. It doesn't seem there's much of a "perfect" fix for that. I am bothered I cannot get the LED light to work. I attempted the fixes on "https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne"
* the wireless leds need an entry in /proc
* with wireless on/off works, but there is no notification in Gui

"To get your wireless led to blink for you based on traffic, put these lines at the end of /etc/sysctl.conf."

dev.wifi0.ledpin=3
dev.wifi0.softled=1

I get command not found for this.

I also tried the later listed solution with sysctl -w. It doesn't know of either commands.
It's not a big deal, but I can't seem to find a fix for it...

I read that the sysctl.conf could be edited, but it was unclear what part was suppose to be edited and how. I looked over the sysctl.conf, but it still isn't clear what part needs to be changed...

SD Card:
My AA1 is a solid state drive, with extra memory on an SD card that came with the computer.
I've been trying to do the SD card fix on the site I posted.
According to that you need to make a file? I wasn't entirely sure what that meant. I made a plain text and put the message in the, saved the text as "aspireone". It would not allow me to save it where it was suppose to be placed. So I placed it under my user name. After which I tried to move it. It would not allow me to move it via GUI. I was denied permission. I attempted to move it via terminal, but I couldn't figure out how to move it. I looked up commands, but it still wasn't clear...
I'm not sure if I've done this right and I'm also not sure how get permission. I tried logging on as Root, but the text is saved under my user.
No One
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Issues With SD Card (and a LED light)

Postby lagagnon on Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:58 am

No One wrote:"To get your wireless led to blink for you based on traffic, put these lines at the end of /etc/sysctl.conf."

dev.wifi0.ledpin=3
dev.wifi0.softled=1

I get command not found for this.

sudo gedit /etc/sysctl.conf

I also tried the later listed solution with sysctl -w. It doesn't know of either commands.
It's not a big deal, but I can't seem to find a fix for it...

all system commands must be run as root, therefore: "sudo sysctl -w"

I read that the sysctl.conf could be edited, but it was unclear what part was suppose to be edited and how. I looked over the sysctl.conf, but it still isn't clear what part needs to be changed...

As it says on that web page: "put these lines at the end of /etc/sysctl.conf".
I made a plain text and put the message in the, saved the text as "aspireone". It would not allow me to save it where it was suppose to be placed. So I placed it under my user name.

Again, you need to be root to edit/save/change any system file (files not in your /home directory), so: "sudo gedit nameoffile..."
I suggest you read this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Return to Newbie Questions