from Ubuntu 7.04 to Linux Mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

from Ubuntu 7.04 to Linux Mint

Postby Izecson on Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:38 am

hi,
I'm an Ubuntu 7.04 user planning to try Linux Mint.
I have some questions before I install Linux Mint.

1. can i copy the content of Ubuntu's /var/cache/apt/archives to linux mint?
so that i don't have to re-download all the apps through Synaptic again..

2. Will I be having any problems if I share Ubuntu's /home partition with LinuxMint? I'll be using the same user name.

3. Will instructions/troubleshooting/etc for Ubuntu work with LinuxMint?

Thx for your help :)
Izecson
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby civint on Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:16 pm

if your /var directory is on its own partition, you may be able to leave that unscathed, but you could copy it all as root and then replace mint's one with your old.

If you want to keep all your software, try AptToCD (not sure of the url, youd have to google it)

I doubt you'd have any issues sharing the home folder, although, tbh, if you have ubuntu working fine, I wouldn't bother with the switch, unless you are finding it a real pain to get the media codecs working.

sorry if that made no sense, I'm a mint noob myself, but know a fair bit about linux, but I hope it was helpful.

*edit* in answer to your 3rd question, probably, since they are essentially, deep down, in the basic code and stuff, the same distro, one being an offshoot of the other, but since there is a vast resource of knowledgeable users here, you might be able to get your info from here instead.
civint
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Boo on Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:06 pm

that AptToCD looks cool.

in answer to your questions. short version.
yes, no, yes.

longer answers:
yes, as long as you have the .deb files for the apps and dependencies.

no, lots of us do this (well me and someone else make a majority so...), and it is not the user name that is important but the user ID.

yes, apart from anything that is mint specific but you may still find an Ubuntu fix that is similar.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Izecson on Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:57 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I'll try Mint later after work.

PS. civint, I did have problems with media codec in Ubuntu, that's why I'm trying Mint..
Izecson
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions