How to create a network

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

How to create a network

Postby Pusherman on Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:35 am

Hi all,

My main box is running MintKDE and I have a second pc running winXP.

I want to connect the two machines together with my Linux box as the main server. This is how I am set up at the moment.

Linux box connects to the internet via a cable modem connected via the Ethernet port off my motherboard. I have an external hard drive connected to a USB port.

Windows PC with a laser printer connected to it.

If I want to connect the two machines do I fit an extra network card in my Linux box and connect the Windows PC (using the Ethernet port on the motherboard) to the new network card in the Linux box?

I then install samba on my Linux machine and configure it (questions about this will probably come later). If Windows is configured correctly will this allow me to access files on my Linux box and external hard drive from my Windows machine and also allow my Windows machine to connect to the internet?

Will this also allow my Linux box to use the printer which is connected to my Windows PC?

Before I get deeper into the configuration part I want to make sure I understand the theory behind what I want to do.

Thanks for all help :)

Pusherman
Pusherman
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:13 pm

Welcome to Mint Pusherman
The best thing is to buy a broadband router and put behind the cable modem. This way your computers can communicate easily and you get a hardware firewall against the internet (not that a firewall really is necessary but possible attacks are stopped in the router and will not bog down your computer).
As for the rest of your questions the answer is yes you will and have got it right.
The price for a broadband router is from about 30 euro upwards

PS Your nick.... to me a pusher is a dealer in illicit drugs....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Boo on Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:31 pm

another option is to buy a 4+ port network switch and connect both PC's and the cable modem to it. Cheaper too.

both PC's should have static IP, as will the modem which is your gateway to the internet.

And yes to the samba part.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Newbie Questions