Filesharing problems

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mr. A

Filesharing problems

Post by Mr. A »

I've got a home network with a dual-boot Mint/XP desktop and a XP Pro laptop. The desktop is connected via ethernet to a wireless router, and the laptops connects over wireless. I've tried to share a couple partitions I have mounted in Mint with the XP laptop, but I get a not accessible error message whenever I try to connect to the desktop running Mint from the laptop. I've tried the right-click/Sharing Options approach in Mint, but I get an error message # 'net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare add: cannot convert name "Everyone" to a SID. Invalid parameter. # when I go to create the share. I tried creating some shares via the terminal [net usershare add ...] but no luck there either. I've posted some more info below if it helps anyone figure out what might be going on. I've probably created more problems than I've solved at this point. Appreciate the help!

net usershare info

[fat32]
path=/home/mark/fat32
comment=
usershare_acl=S-1-1-0:R,
guest_ok=y

[windows]
path=/home/mark/windows
comment=windows
usershare_acl=S-1-1-0:F,
guest_ok=y

testparm

Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions

[global]
server string = %h server (Samba, LinuxMint)
encrypt passwords = No
map to guest = Bad User
obey pam restrictions = Yes
passdb backend = tdbsam
pam password change = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
unix password sync = Yes
syslog = 0
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
dns proxy = No
usershare allow guests = Yes
panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
create mask = 0700
printable = Yes
browseable = No

[print$]
comment = Printer Drivers
path = /var/lib/samba/printers
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Filesharing problems

Post by altair4 »

Are you running Mint6 or Mint7?

Add the following line to the [global] section of /etc/samba/smb.conf:
security = share

This happened to me in only one install of Mint6 and never in Mint7. That's why I wanted to know if you're having it happen in Mint7.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Mr. A

Post by Mr. A »

Thanks for the help. It works now! I know I've had that line in the file before, but who knows what else I might've messed up. So I tried to put everything back pretty much the way it was when I first installed Mint and ask for some help. Thanks again!

BTW, I am working with Mint7.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Actually I'm not sure you caused this to happen.

That line is missing in my Mint7 as well and yet I don't have your problem. That's why I think that this is some kind of bug that for the life of me I can't seem to induce - it just happens. And it happens after previously working without the "security" line. Why it affects some and not others I don't know.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Beginner Questions”