Update to boot/login screen breaks it

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Steerpike

Update to boot/login screen breaks it

Post by Steerpike »

So some updates came across my system, and it looks like they included some updates or changes to the boot/login screens. Now when I boot up all I get are errors.

One of the biggest drawbacks of Linux to a new user like me are updates that are just sent out there and end up breaking systems. It has happened to me in every distribution I've tried (OpenSUSE had one particularly bad incident). I think I'm just going to turn off the updater and/or never install an update again, because these things don't seem to always be ready to go before they're flagged by my system to be installed.

Is there anyway to roll back the update I made? I understand this can be difficult in Linux and I don't really have any idea where to start.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Steerpike

Re: Update to boot/login screen breaks it

Post by Steerpike »

Does anyone know where Mint stores login themes by default? There are no longer any of them under my Login Window Preferences and I can't find them to add them.
pluraldave

Post by pluraldave »

/usr/share/gdm/themes (if you're using Gnome) but if you can't see any they probably aren't there. If not check in the artwork section of the forum and the mint artwork site for new ones (although I can't promise if the original one is there).

Also when was the last time you restarted the computer? If you know that you can check in mintupdate for the packages updated since that time (assuming you're updating via mintupdate).
Fred

Post by Fred »

Steerpike,

In the past, have you tried to change the boot order or display listing on your boot menu screen? If so, you have probably done it incorrectly. There are a number of updates that will trash your menu.lst file if it has been modified incorrectly. Refer to the post and the link contained therein for more information.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... st#p168694

Fred

Return to “Beginner Questions”