[invalid] Firefox Crashes

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bkv2k

[invalid] Firefox Crashes

Post by bkv2k »

When I try to go to http://www.hulu.com, Firefox quits.

Gloria (AMD64)

System

LinuxMint
Release 7 (Gloria)
Kernel Linux 2.6.28-11-generic
GNOME 2.26.1

Memory: 988.9 MiB
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+

Available disk space: 167.9 GiB
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
alexxx24887

Re: Firefox Crashes

Post by alexxx24887 »

Open a terminal and type in:

Code: Select all

firefox
(visit hulu) and post the output here again. :)
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

don't bother, it's a known bug upstream (can't find the link atm) that's even worse in firefox 3.5 This is caused by the proprietary flash plugin being crap.
alexxx24887

Post by alexxx24887 »

Is that a global problem (all Browser) or just Firefox's?
bkv2k

Post by bkv2k »

Yes, it is a global problem. Same thing with Seamonkey and Enlightenment. Also, Hulu isn't the only web site I've had this problem with; it was just a ready available example of the problem. Firefox doesn't drop out at the Hulu web site with the x86 version of Gloria, just the amd64.
bkv2k

Post by bkv2k »

Here's another interesting piece of information: I'm looking through quite a few web sites looking for information on Perl programming. A lot of these web sites cause Firefox to die. This affects the amd64 version only. I don't know that this has anything to do with Perl. Just an interesting observation.
ghostgrrl

Post by ghostgrrl »

bkv2k wrote:Here's another interesting piece of information: I'm looking through quite a few web sites looking for information on Perl programming. A lot of these web sites cause Firefox to die. This affects the amd64 version only. I don't know that this has anything to do with Perl. Just an interesting observation.
Wonder if this is the source of the problem I've been experiencing? Firefox crashes randomly, for no apparent reason -- just freezes everything and the only solution is to press the power off button. Occasionally, moving the mouse around the screen will reveal squares of what's underneath, similar to using Paint with a large square brush.

Crashes seem to only happen while using Firefox.

Linux Mint 7 Gloria
Acer Aspire 5610z
160GB HDD
1GB DDR2
Firefox 3.0.13 for Linux Mint Gloria

Any additional info needed, please let me know.
Thanks,
Karen
ckosloff

Post by ckosloff »

I have a dual-boot Acer Aspire One.
When going to site chessgames.com, Firefox crashes so bad that it kicks me off the system, I have to log back in again.
This site uses Java, not Flash.
I downloaded latest version of Java for Windows, and this does not happen.
Hate to say this.
I really am looking forward to a fix in Linux.

Return to “Beginner Questions”