Changing boot sequence on dual boot

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thrawn60

Changing boot sequence on dual boot

Post by thrawn60 »

Hi,

I tried to search the forum and browse through the different sections but I didn't find an answer...

Can you change the sequence of boot on dual boot? now my machine is set to boot into XP after X amount of time, can this change to boot into Gloria instead and then have XP as secondary?

Thanks in advance,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: Changing boot sequence on dual boot

Post by Fred »

thrawn60,

Look at the below post and follow the link there-in. That should be all the information you need to solve your problem. :-)

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... st#p168694

Welcome to the Linux Mint forum.

Fred
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Fred, what's wrong with just asking for the location number of the mint title, and issuing a "grub-set-default NUM" command?
bennachie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bennachie »

Or you could just install startup-manager from the repos. Works fine for me.
ebaut

Post by ebaut »

sure you can.

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
find about 4-5 strings fot win xp load, and up them :)
save & reboot
Fred

Post by Fred »

emorrp1 wrote:
Fred, what's wrong with just asking for the location number of the mint title, and issuing a "grub-set-default NUM" command?
Nothing, if you only want to change the default boot. If you want to change the display order, you have to do it manually.

I wrote the detailed descriptions in the other threads to help people learn and understand better how the menu.lst is structured. I have seen so many attempts at modifying the menu.lst and getting advice that was incorrect as well. Example in this thread as a matter of fact.

If and when I have the time I like to give a more detailed answer to common questions in the interest of helping people to learn, if I can. Yes, sometimes it would be easier on me and the user if I just gave a one line answer. But when I have the time to flesh it out a bit and actually help people learn, that is my choice. I can then use those links again and again. I may be laboring under a misconception, but I actually would like to think that many appreciate the effort. Besides, I get paid the same regardless of how many posts I answer in the time I have available. :-)

ebaut wrote:
find about 4-5 strings fot win xp load, and up them :)
save & reboot
This is not the correct way to do it. If you will follow and read the links I posted above you will learn why this is incorrect. :-)

Fred
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Very true Fred. I only asked as I wasn't aware of the set-default command yesterday, and it seems the OP is indeed only interested in changing the default, not necessarily the display order.
p.s. I hope you're clued up on grub2, as it'll be the default in karmic, and hence helena too probably. I've just finished reading all the material I could find :-)
Fred

Post by Fred »

emorrp1 wrote:
p.s. I hope you're clued up on grub2...
Actually I know very little about it. You are probably way ahead of me. I'll have to corner you one day and let you give me a crash course on gurb2. :-)

Fred
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

this seems to be the most crash-course like one out there: https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Grub2 But generally speaking the overall documentation is a bit sparse at the moment.
smokeymtn_ron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by smokeymtn_ron »

Fred wrote:
If and when I have the time I like to give a more detailed answer to common questions in the interest of helping people to learn, if I can. Yes, sometimes it would be easier on me and the user if I just gave a one line answer. But when I have the time to flesh it out a bit and actually help people learn, that is my choice.
And I thank you very much for that Fred!! Your posts have really helped me. :D :D
thrawn60

Post by thrawn60 »

Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies.

I tried the modification of the menu.lst which didn't result in anything like it should, but then again I'm a complete noob when it comes to linux and understanding the logic.. So I tried to "cheat" by using the startup-manager, but for some funny reason it will not work.. click launch and then nothing..

I read the articles that Fred referred to, and I'm sure that I can find the answer in there, I just need to look at it with fresh eyes and not after 15 hours of work hehe

Thank you in advance,

Michael
Fred

Post by Fred »

thrawn60,

If you still have questions after going through the material, post back here. I/we will be happy to try to help you. Sometimes my posts aren't as clear as I might wish they were. :-)

Fred
thrawn60

Post by thrawn60 »

Well... I didn't exactly get the dual boot thing to work my way, so I kicked out XP and run only mint :)

I found out that much of my XP needs could be replaced with Wine, GIMP and Kdelive, and through samba the wife can print as well..

But thanks for the help anyway :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”