Middle mouse button not working

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
metalf8801

Re: Middle mouse button not working

Post by metalf8801 »

on my thinkpad t60 my the middle mouse button will past the last text or blank spaces I highlighted.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

IBM R61 touchpad..
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/+bugs?f ... o_package=
--a little out of date, might no longer apply..

http://www.klabs.be/~fpiat/linux/debian ... d_T61.html
Debian notes (lenny)..
  • Mouse
    The Thinkpad T61 has a two built-in mouse : a Touchpad and a Trackpoint (both working out of the box). Each mouse's data is available through a separate /dev/mouse{0,1} and the combination of both events are available in /dev/mice.
    Touchpad
    Device is a "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" ( dmi info ; input 00002:0007) If you want to tweak default configuration/behaviour, use touchpad configuration tool:
    package: (optional:tpconfig)
You should have the Synaptics touchpad installed, check the settings in the control center for that device..
  • apt search synaptic
    i xserver-xorg-input-synaptics - Synaptics TouchPad driver for X.Org/XFree8
    apt search tpconfig
    p tpconfig - configure touchpad devices
Read the Debian Lenny link for the device name and the settings available..
http://www.klabs.be/~fpiat/linux/debian ... d_T61.html
Try tpconfig and see if you get the generated xorg.conf file that enables the touchpad operation or you can also add your own section to the automatically generated /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, it (the system) will use whatever is in that file to configure the xserver: the desktop settings..

In the terminal lspci will show device names or you could use inxi -F
uilenspiegel

Post by uilenspiegel »

So I just got this set up for my Thinkpad X61. There are apparently a few different ways to configure and control the middle mouse button, some of which are apparently preferable if your machine is new enough to support them. To find out about this, I followed this thread on the ubuntu forums:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1139856

which led me to this really excellent article at thinkwiki:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_co ... TrackPoint

I recommend the thinkwiki article as the ultimate source of direction about what to do, for many different machines --- it really goes into the options in depth.

To get it working for my machine, I've created the following file:

sudo gedit /etc/hal/fdi/policy/mouse-wheel.fdi

with content:

<match key="info.product" string="TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint">
<merge key="input.x11_options.EmulateWheel" type="string">true</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.EmulateWheelButton" type="string">2</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.YAxisMapping" type="string">4 5</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.XAxisMapping" type="string">6 7</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.Emulate3Buttons" type="string">true</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.EmulateWheelTimeout" type="string">200</merge>
</match>

Reboot after this and you should be good to go.

Note the optional XAxisMapping line --- I wanted to try enabling horizontal as well as vertical scrolling (something I didn't have in windows). Seems pretty nice so far.

Note too the match on info.product. You can find out which trackpoint product you have by running lshal.

I also made these changes to about:config in firefox, to suppress the middle mouse button pasting and content loading (which were annoying me) and to make the scrolling more (according to the thinkwiki page) like what i was used to in windows:

middlemouse.paste = false
middlemouse.contentLoadURL = false
general.autoScroll = true

I should add that the thinkwiki article also has suggestions about how to suppress middle mouse button pasting entirely, i.e. not just in the browser (I didn't want to suppress it when working in the terminal). Go have a look if that's something you're interested in.
uilenspiegel

Post by uilenspiegel »

I just upgraded to Helena on my thinkpad x61 and re-applied the above steps to get the middle mouse button working, and this time around I modified the settings for opera as well as firefox (so that opera will scroll with the middle mouse button like it does on windows, rather than navigating back/forward in page history). Specific steps:

gedit /usr/share/opera/ui/standard_mouse.ini

comment out the lines:

Button6 = Back
Button7 = Forward

so they look like:

;Button6 = Back
;Button7 = Forward

Got this from the same thinkwiki article referenced in my earlier post.
UnklFungus

Post by UnklFungus »

Can I use any of this to slow my scroll wheel down? It is WAY too fast and Control Center > Mouse doesn't give me the option of adjusting the scroll speed. Thanks.
If I should start a new thread, please let me know.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

UnklFungus wrote:slow my scroll wheel down? It is WAY too fast and Control Center > Mouse doesn't give me the option of adjusting the scroll speed.
Install gpointing-device-settings in synaptic. Yes you should start your own thread.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
UnklFungus

Post by UnklFungus »

Thank you, I have it installed, but how do I initiate it? I cannot find it on my system.

ETA: I just went into a terminal and entered gpointing-device-settings and it popped up. Thanks again.

Return to “Beginner Questions”