64 bit release request to the team

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ale

64 bit release request to the team

Post by Ale »

I ask the team to release in the near future Linux Mint 8 64 bit at the same time of the 32 bit version.
Sabayon team releases 64 bit and 32 bit at the same time, i think, why Linux Mint team no?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RedWagon

Re: 64 bit release request to the team

Post by RedWagon »

The Linux Mint dev team is much smaller than most (mainstream) distros, to release both at the same time would mean delaying the 32 bit release until the 64 bit is done.
Ale

Post by Ale »

The solution is to release the 64 bit version before the 32 bit version. 64 bit version is better for 64 bit pc with 4 gb ram
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

I have seen several similar posts before and what I don't what difference does it make what bit distro comes out first. I guess this is a two part question, why do the developers do the 32 bit first and why are 64 bit users so hot to get the 64 bit version before or at the same time as the 32 distro?
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Ale wrote:The solution is to release the 64 bit version before the 32 bit version. 64 bit version is better for 64 bit pc with 4 gb ram
That's not the solution for everybody (nothing is), even if RAM these days is fairly inexpensive, large sizes still increase the costs of the whole system fairly significantly..
--4GB of RAM (memory) isn't much of a 64bit system, you really should be going up in memory size and capability (dual, quad CPU or multi-core versions) to play with 64bit applications, audio/video, cad or mathematics/scientific (statistical and similar) types of applications..

How many 64bit application exist is the better question
Even though I have been using a 64bit Linux almost from its first availability, I still don't panic if a particular distribution, Debian for example has delayed their 64 version(s) until after their 32bit release dates..

Return to “Beginner Questions”