Partition Probs

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Partition Probs

Postby skiddly on Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:26 am

Can someone help please, i tried to install as dual boot but was happier using wubi the prob is i used a 50/50 partition of my hard drive ive put system back to original condition using system recovery but my hd only shows as half of original size how do i get it back to normal mint is now back to wubi ty skiddly
One day ill be clever and know things.
skiddly
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Partition Probs

Postby lagagnon on Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:10 am

If you are going to install operating systems on your computer (especially dual boot) then you really should understand partitioning and how to use the software for partitioning. There is a Mint Guide at the website and numerous tutorials on the Internet for this.

At any rate, you have reduced the size of the Windows partition by half. To get back to the original size you should use the Mint Live CD, then run "gparted" (Menu, Administration, Partition Editor), to delete the second partition and then increase the size of the Windows partition.

Personally, I would not use Wubi to install Mint if you really want to learn to use an operating system as it was meant to be used on its own partition. If I were you I would first of all read the Mint guide, learn how to partition and then install Mint properly onto its own partition.
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Postby Aging Technogeek on Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:16 pm

I second lagagnon's suggestion, but I would also check out this thread. It is a very extensive and complete discussion of installation and partitioning.

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=11872&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Registered Linux User 483387
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Postby skiddly on Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:16 am

thanks guys this is why im posting in newbies lol advice much appreciated, skiddly
One day ill be clever and know things.
skiddly
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions