No space left on device? I paritioned 20GB.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DallasHokie11

No space left on device? I paritioned 20GB.

Post by DallasHokie11 »

When I go to Computer, I see my "20.2 GB Media" icon, in which about 18GB is free.

When I try to install anything, upgrade anything, or save a file to the Pictures folder, I get errors saying "No space left on device."

How is that when I partitioned all that free space? I have a tri-boot going on: XP/Jaunty/Mint.

Please help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DallasHokie11

Re: No space left on device? I paritioned 20GB.

Post by DallasHokie11 »

Ohh. I used Disk Usage Analyzer, and it says that the total filesystem capacity is 2.3GB! and I have 4.0kB left of space :shock: .

This is a screen shot of my partition mess.
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php? ... 1249962628

I think when I installed Mint, it someone gobbled up Ubuntu's memory space?
intoDesign.ca

Post by intoDesign.ca »

If you partioned the drive as /media/data or /media/xxxxx then you have to goto the terminal and use the following command:

Code: Select all

sudo chmod 777 /media/data
The reason you can not access this is because when the drive is mounted, only root has write access to the drive. The chmod 777 gives everyone read, write, execute access to this drive.
DallasHokie11

Post by DallasHokie11 »

Hi. I tried that, but it couldn't find the /data part.

What do I put in for /XXXXXX...where do I look?
intoDesign.ca

Post by intoDesign.ca »

I should have been more clear with /media/xxxxx - I used xxxxx as a placeholder for whatever you called the partition. I don't have access to the screenshot you posted so I am unable to tell you exactly what to fill in the blank with.

If you mounted the partition as /media/My20GBDR you would

sudo chmod 777 /media/My20GBDR
Likewise, if you mounted it as /media/personal you would

sudo chmod 777 /media/personal
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

I have a feeling that it is your / partition that is out of space!
Type df in a terminal and copy/paste it back here?
DallasHokie11

Post by DallasHokie11 »

I restarted the system, and now I don't have enough memory or space to log on!

I am thinking about reinstalling Mint now. :(. But so far for my Acer Aspire One, Mint has been exceptional!

Return to “Beginner Questions”