Samsung Syncmaster 920nw Monitor not recognised

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Samsung Syncmaster 920nw Monitor not recognised

Postby jonjon on Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:31 pm

Hi, I recently installed Linux Mint 7 on PC (After catastrophic Windows XP virus). All is good except it does not recognise my monitor, so the picture quality is terrible and the wrong size. It is a 16:9 screen and the pic is somewhere between 16:9 and 4:3. The Samsung userguide tells me when installing the monitor on a Linux operating system, to make an X86config file before executing X-window (on disc supplied). As I am not a tech person, what is an X86config file and how do I create one. In simple language please...

thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Jon
jonjon
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Samsung Syncmaster 920nw Monitor not recognised

Postby DrHu on Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:55 am

jonjon wrote:Hi, I recently installed Linux Mint 7 on PC (After catastrophic Windows XP virus). All is good except it does not recognise my monitor, so the picture quality is terrible and the wrong size.
The Samsung userguide tells me when installing the monitor on a Linux operating system, to make an X86config file before executing X-window

More context needed: hardware, video card

so the picture quality is terrible and the wrong size
You can boot mint in a safer mode for your screen and then try and fixup the monitor settings
F4 I think is VGA mode
--at boot, but the menus indicate to you, safe mode etcetera.

You might not even need that Xwindow file, if Linux can setup the monitor itself
mint menu>system>control center>hardware>Hardware drivers
--any recommended video driver showing up ?
Linux might be able to setup your Xserver
--your desktop; but you should check it it works first before messing with the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file
    use this sequence if you want to create, setup an xserver file
  • alt F1
    --to drop to the terminal
  • sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
  • sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    --to setup the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file
  • reboot
    --or sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
  • finished..
http://www.superwarehouse.com/Samsung_1 ... ps/1497667
Which video card are you using; it has an effect on the settings available to you to drive that analogue video monitor.
--for example nvidia has the utility nvidia-settings available to setup the xorg.conf file

For any changes/edits to system directories (folders) such as /etc/X11/xorg.conf, you have to prefix the command with sudo (in the terminal) or gksu (on the desktop)
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Samsung Syncmaster 920nw Monitor not recognised

Postby jonjon on Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:42 pm

Thanks to you both. I have tried to set up the Xserver (there are no video drivers showing) and it does not seem to have made any difference. I am a bit lost doing stuff like this and do not know anyone who uses Linux. May have to get someone to help, or go back to Windows as I just want my PC to work.

Really appreciate your help.

Jon
jonjon
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions