Gaaaaahh

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Gaaaaahh

Postby DiabloCody on Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:12 am

Yeah, uh, why does the back button on my mouse not work in Nautilus? This is incredibly annoying, given that the back button is there to go back. Works fine in Windows.

Also, why are icons capable of appearing on top of each other (if, for example, a hard drive is plugged in). Of course, this does not happen in Windows, but Windows also doesn't put HDDs on the desktop. However, OSX does, and is also UNIX based, but somehow, it manages not to stick the icons on top of each other.

Just a suggestion.... but perhaps these should be fixed.... they may not be issues with the Mint distro, of course, but I still think they need revision.... in fact I can conceive of no logical reason that they shouldn't be given some attention.
DiabloCody
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Gaaaaahh

Postby lagagnon on Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:19 am

Please use a more descriptive Subject header so more people will read and possibly respond to your posts.

Re back button: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1008600

I have never seen icons in Nautilus on top of one another as you describe. Perhaps you could put up a screenshot to show us what you mean?
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Postby DiabloCody on Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:23 am

Next time I will rename it "crap that needs fixed."

I have tried that little fix, and all it does is cause my backslash to be entered five times. Doesn't really fix the problem. I have even had an experienced Linux user try to fix it to no avail.

And the icons on top of each other? Can't get a screenshot because it doesn't happen every time, but I'm sure I'm not the only person to have this problem.

Perhaps I shall take it directly to the Nautilus project.
DiabloCody
Level 1
Level 1

Postby optimize me on Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:47 am

Right click the desktop and select "keep aligned".
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.8GHz 8GB DDR3 RAM ATI Radeon HD6970
optimize me
Level 5
Level 5

Postby DiabloCody on Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:54 pm

That is not a functional fix to this problem.

This is a problem inherent in the desktop, and as far as I know, is not fixable by any settings.
DiabloCody
Level 1
Level 1

Postby optimize me on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:30 am

So, OK. Write a patch.

You'll be the savior of the Linux & MacOS worlds. :lol:
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.8GHz 8GB DDR3 RAM ATI Radeon HD6970
optimize me
Level 5
Level 5

Postby DiabloCody on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:27 pm

You know, this doesn't give a great impression of Linux Mint. Honestly, if I were a user coming from Windows (which I am) I would just drop Linux MInt right now and go back to Windows. In fact, that's exactly what I've done. I have a Mint partition and guess what? I don't use it. I use Windows 7, because honestly, the problems in Linux Mint are so ridiculous that it doesn't make me want to use it. And APPARENTLY no one gives a ****. Real nice impression you guys give of your operating system.

This is a problem. It is a documented problem. But apparently, around here, everyone takes the "we're already too good so we won't take any advice" attitude that permeates the worst software developers.

The back button in Nautilus is also a problem. There is NO reason that it shouldn't work. But, you Linux people like to laugh that stuff off because you have some sort of attitude that it doesn't need to be fixed. It's perfect already right?

No wonder Linux dominates almost a whole percent of the OS market.

And BTW, I don't think I would be the savior of the Mac OS world. You know why? THEY MANAGED NOT TO HAVE THIS ISSUE.
DiabloCody
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lagagnon on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:43 pm

DiabloCody wrote:Honestly, if I were a user coming from Windows (which I am) I would just drop Linux MInt right now and go back to Windows. In fact, that's exactly what I've done.

OK, great, good bye, you are no great loss to the Mint community that's for sure.
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Postby DiabloCody on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:47 pm

lagagnon wrote:
DiabloCody wrote:Honestly, if I were a user coming from Windows (which I am) I would just drop Linux MInt right now and go back to Windows. In fact, that's exactly what I've done.

OK, great, good bye, you are no great loss to the Mint community that's for sure.

Typical response. Honestly, you show a very poor quality for the Mint community.

Please, give me ONE reason that what I suggested should not be implemented. ONE. That's all I ask. You know why you can't do it? Because a logical reason doesn't exist. However, everyone has their head up their ass too far to give a damn. Hopefully someone will think... "hmmm... maybe those things should be fixed. I can think of no logical reason they shouldn't."

Mint is a solid OS with many nice qualities. But the reluctance to listen to suggestions is a huge turn off.
DiabloCody
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clhodapp on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:51 pm

Some things:
1) All: I have noted the behaviors that DiabloCody mentioned and I definitely consider them to be issues. I can only assume that most of you have as well.
2) All: I have noted that the latest version of both OS X and Windows function as DiabloCody describes.
3) DiabloCody: I will file these as bugs with Nautilus on their Bugzilla. The Linux Mint team does not make Nautilus and it would be ridiculous to try to maintain our own version over these relatively minor issues.
4) DiabloCody: I hope that you will give Mint another try at some point in the future.
Last edited by clhodapp on Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
clhodapp
Level 3
Level 3

Postby DiabloCody on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:54 pm

Finally a reasonable person.

I guess they DO exist on this site.
DiabloCody
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clhodapp on Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:02 pm

Why does this seem to be escalating into a growing conflict? A new user pointed out several improvements that could be made to the Mint distro (although the issues are really with Nautilus, can we really blame a new user for not seeing the difference?). Why not just tell DiabloCody that a change to the behaviors he described would be nice, that a bug will be filed against Nautilus, and then throw in a link to something like this: http://mintguides.blogspot.com/2008/08/ ... ndows.html for good measure and to explain why the filed bug wouldn't have results right away. (Note that these things are now effectively all done. Feel free to follow the link/read the article, DiabloCody.)

Update: Thanks for the compliment. This also kind of negates my statements about a growing conflict, I guess...
clhodapp
Level 3
Level 3

Postby DiabloCody on Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:07 pm

Thanks. I also did note in one of my first posts that it may indeed be a problem with Nautilus and not fixable by Mint.

Some people don't care to note that but rather make snide comments like

optimize me wrote:You'll be the savior of the Linux & MacOS worlds. :lol:
DiabloCody
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clhodapp on Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:16 pm

Ok. It would appear that the overlapping icons issue has already been reported at http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=562594

The other issue that you had (with the mouse buttons) has been filed at http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=592027

Update: it would appear that the back/forward thing was fixed in the Nautilus code in April. It should show up in a future version of Mint.
Last edited by clhodapp on Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clhodapp
Level 3
Level 3

Postby DrHu on Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:29 pm

DiabloCody wrote:And the icons on top of each other? Can't get a screenshot because it doesn't happen every time, but I'm sure I'm not the only person to have this problem.

More context was needed: hardware, mouse model #, manufacturer name
--otherwise if no one has that particular mouse how can anyone say whether it works or doesn't work

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_ ... 6&cl=US,EN
I have a mouse logitech trackman wheel mouse, that if I use the right mouse button I get a menu list, including a Back selection, except in nautilus, it does show in Firefox, so it is partly an applications, partly a hardware issue..

And the icons on top of each other?
I have only seen that issue, when it has been a video problem, as in screen resolution or drivers selection..

The problem with the back button
http://www.linux.com/archive/articles/114134?page=2
--it could be fixed, but it may take some work or research

In terminal, check
    apt search nautilus
    i libnautilus-burn4 - Nautilus Burn Library - runtime version
    i libnautilus-extension1 - libraries for nautilus components - runtim
    i nautilus - file manager and graphical shell for GNOME
    i nautilus-actions - nautilus extension to configure programs t
    v nautilus-extensions-2.0 -
    i nautilus-open-terminal - nautilus plugin for opening terminals in a
    p nautilus-script-debug - Simple nautilus debugging script
    p nautilus-script-manager - A simple management tool for nautilus scri
    v nautilus-script-purrr -

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/h ... 1-0ubuntu1
v nautilus-script-purrr -
Just noticed that as multiple file renaming has come up in these forums already, and there were many suggestions about software that would help, I don't remember that this nautilus extension was included (it may have been), but the usual suggestions was to use other software for that function
--so you see what a little research discovers..
Last edited by DrHu on Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby DrHu on Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:46 pm

DiabloCody wrote:You know, this doesn't give a great impression of Linux Mint. Honestly, if I were a user coming from Windows (which I am) I would just drop Linux MInt right now and go back to Windows. In fact, that's exactly what I've done. I have a Mint partition and guess what? I don't use it. I use Windows 7
I could only agree with you if any OS available solved every user's problems
--but none of them can do that: neither Linux, Apple OS-X or Windows OS

..Honestly, if I were a user coming from Windows (which I am)..
--OK, so you are a windows OS user; we get it.
All I could say about the rant against Linux, Mint in this case, is that if you found an issue with a windows OS, would you immediately say, this is crap, I am going back to Linux
--I think not; which makes that argument specious.
Last edited by DrHu on Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby FedoraRefugee on Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:47 pm

clhodapp wrote:Why does this seem to be escalating into a growing conflict? A new user pointed out several improvements that could be made to the Mint distro (although the issues are really with Nautilus, can we really blame a new user for not seeing the difference?). Why not just tell DiabloCody that a change to the behaviors he described would be nice, that a bug will be filed against Nautilus, and then throw in a link to something like this: http://mintguides.blogspot.com/2008/08/ ... ndows.html for good measure and to explain why the filed bug wouldn't have results right away. (Note that these things are now effectively all done. Feel free to follow the link/read the article, DiabloCody.)

Update: Thanks for the compliment. This also kind of negates my statements about a growing conflict, I guess...

Why? Maybe because of the tone the OP takes from the first post. "uh, yeah" translation - "hey, you idiots." "works fine in Windows!" "does not happen in Windows!" Then, when answered civilly he mouths off that next time he will name the thread "crap that needs fixed!" Then, when helpful forum regulars try to further define his problem he gets snappy and starts with his potty mouth. That is why it escalated. If Windows or OS X is so much better then what is he doing here? Use what you like. I dont get paid to help rude potty mouths! Last I looked no one is paying anything for Linux Mint. I dont think it is in competition with Windows or any other OS. It is simply there for the taking, use it or dont. :D If you want help then try asking nicely, maybe someone who is donating their time for FREE to help others in this forum will take notice and have an answer. But no one owes the OP anything. It is obviously HIS problem as we are all using Mint without these symptoms. First I have heard of them, though using Xfce probably has its benefits.

Anyway, I agree with lagagnon. Bye bye!
FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Postby DiabloCody on Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:31 am

Everyone is using Mint without these symptoms?

Really? How did they manage that? The back button works natively in Nautilus? Oh wait. IT DOESN'T. So your statement is patently untrue.

I guess since, admittedly by various people here, these are such small issues, I expected them to not be issues at all in an OS as amazing as this one.

Apparently elegance didn't come from freedom. Stubbornness and a feeling of superiority did.
DiabloCody
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Kaye on Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:42 am

DiabloCody wrote:Everyone is using Mint without these symptoms?

Really? How did they manage that? The back button works natively in Nautilus? Oh wait. IT DOESN'T. So your statement is patently untrue.

I guess since, admittedly by various people here, these are such small issues, I expected them to not be issues at all in an OS as amazing as this one.

Apparently elegance didn't come from freedom. Stubbornness and a feeling of superiority did.

The fact that you're missing is for many people (myself included) the back button does work natively in Nautilus. Most of the time any problem you have in any Linux distro is completely cause by your hardware/a configuration that was inadvertently changed on your system (your as in the user, not you particularly). The reason no one wants to help you is because, to state it elegantly, you are acting like a complete and total ass. Believe it or not, the Linux world does not revolve around fixing each and every issue that you have with your desktop. If you had posted in a different (read: more respectful and inquisitive, rather than demanding) manner, no one would have made any snide remarks. We're all just regular people in here, helping out newbies of our own volition, and when someone comes in posting things like
The back button in Nautilus is also a problem. There is NO reason that it shouldn't work.

there is absolutely no reason for us to want to help you. First of all, what makes you think you know the first thing about making a file browser recognize and integrate the features of a specific piece of hardware? If it's so easy, then you should really contribute to the community and submit the fix yourself. There's obviously a good reason for the problem, and I'm sure someone is working on it. The only thing there's really NO reason for is your attitude.
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?
Kaye
Level 5
Level 5

Postby DiabloCody on Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:57 am

You are all certainly entertaining people.

I know that it is certainly possible to fix. I know someone who is quite an advanced user of Linux. And I know that stuff, like icons appearing over icons, is fixable.

But whatever. Reign in your small fraction of a 1% OS market share. Oh what a glorious thing it is. Maybe if somebody attempted to streamline these issues then you could increase that.
DiabloCody
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Next

Return to Newbie Questions