Gaaaaahh

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Re: Gaaaaahh

Postby Kaye on Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:41 am

DiabloCody wrote:You are all certainly entertaining people.

I know that it is certainly possible to fix. I know someone who is quite an advanced user of Linux. And I know that stuff, like icons appearing over icons, is fixable.

But whatever. Reign in your small fraction of a 1% OS market share. Oh what a glorious thing it is. Maybe if somebody attempted to streamline these issues then you could increase that.


Once again, you completely miss the point. No one here cares about the market share. Since when has Linux has anything to do with the market? I think most of us could care less whether or not other people use the OS. Sure, I'm always willing to help a friend switch over to Linux with hope that it'll improve his computing experience, but I'm also willing to help a friend fix a problem with his Windows install without insisting that he switch to Linux because it's the best thing in the world. Linux isn't for everyone. If you think Linux is supposed to be like Windows, you're wrong, and most likely you aren't ready to make the switch. Coming to Linux and expecting it to be Windows might be one of the stupidest things possible, because that makes the switch completely pointless.

As far as the fixes to your hardware problems, I'm glad you know that it is possible to do something. I'm also glad you know an advanced user of Linux. Most of the people that would have been answering your questions in this forum are advanced users of Linux as well, it's not like your acquaintance is the only person who knows what's going on under the hood. Obviously your problems are possible to fix (every problem is); that isn't the issue. The issue is the amount of time it would take to fix that issue compared to the amount of difference it makes (which is not much of a difference compare to other much more important issues). And by the way, just who is this "somebody" you keep referring to who should be fixing all of your issues for you?
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?
Image
User avatar
Kaye
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:05 pm
Location: Boston College

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Gaaaaahh

Postby FedoraRefugee on Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:46 am

It's always amusing when someone walks into a room full of total strangers and thinks everyone is against him! Why dont you just go to bed and try again tomorrow?
FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1301
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:25 am

Re: Gaaaaahh

Postby DiabloCody on Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:00 am

Kaye wrote:And by the way, just who is this "somebody" you keep referring to who should be fixing all of your issues for you?

A friend of mine who is quite experienced when it comes to Linux. His real name is irrelevant.
DiabloCody
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:37 am

Re: Gaaaaahh

Postby Acid_1 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:04 am

Well now. I would say that a subject title such as Gaaaaaahh does catch my attention more than other topics. But besides that lol. When you come into a community flaming about how x and x is wrong so it's crap now, of course you're probably going to get some snarky responses. Use your brain. Second off, comparing Windows to Linux is stupid. See Linux not Windows: http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm.

Nobody cares about market share. Sure, RHEL, SUSE, Canonical, and many others do, but they're business'. They make money. Debian, Mint, and other community distros do this for themselves. And as far as I am concerned, a small market share IS nice. It keeps most of the boneheads from bothering us.

Now onto the main topic. I am using 2.26.2 of Nautilus. What is yours? Also, what is your mouse brand? Did you install restricted drivers if need be?

Lastly, it doesn't matter if you leave. Rather it saves us a grand total of 500 characters typing how stupid your comments (Or rather, how you portray them) on how Mint is, and should be. Although it does allow us to have fun irritating....

Double lastly.... TROLL!!!
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=58017
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1032102
Image
Website: Forkwhilefork
User avatar
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 817
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:12 pm
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada

Re: Gaaaaahh

Postby Kaye on Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:06 am

DiabloCody wrote:
Kaye wrote:And by the way, just who is this "somebody" you keep referring to who should be fixing all of your issues for you?

A friend of mine who is quite experienced when it comes to Linux. His real name is irrelevant.

Well that one sure went over your head :roll: Did you even read my post?

@Acid_1: Hilarious :lol:
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?
Image
User avatar
Kaye
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:05 pm
Location: Boston College

Re: Gaaaaahh

Postby clhodapp on Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:37 am

It would seem I was far too naive about the purposes of DiabloCody... Certainly seems to be in troll territory now. Sorry guys... I guess you can spot trolls better than I. Also, I should add that I have had the back button issue on every one of my 3 mice, so I didn't know that there were mice that didn't have this issue with the version of Nautilus currently in Mint.
clhodapp
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:57 am
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL

Re: Gaaaaahh

Postby optimize me on Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:59 am

Man, this thread really blew up over night. Is this a joke?

Overlapping icons? A reason to say "Linux is ****, I'm going back to Windows"?

Are you kidding me?

Here's a solution: When your icons overlap, move one of them you lazy, mindless turd.
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.8GHz 8GB DDR3 RAM ATI Radeon HD6970
User avatar
optimize me
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 639
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:25 pm

Re: Gaaaaahh

Postby aged hippy on Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:42 am

optimize me wrote:Man, this thread really blew up over night. Is this a joke?

Overlapping icons? A reason to say "Linux is ****, I'm going back to Windows"?

Are you kidding me?

Here's a solution: When your icons overlap, move one of them you lazy, mindless turd.


ROFLMAO :lol:




The only constructive comment that i have to add to this endlessly fascinatingTopic is:

Image
"Happiness be the lot of him who works for the happiness of others."
Zarathushtra - Ushtavaiti Gatha (Yasna 43)
User avatar
aged hippy
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:43 pm
Location: Suffolk

Re: Gaaaaahh

Postby Old Marcus on Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:55 am

The reason why we feed trolls is because they are much like a drug, we get a kick out of being wound up and vice versa. ;)
Linux Mint 8 RC1 = Nice
'apt install' can be used on Linux Mint as a shortcut for 'sudo apt-get install'. 'apt x' can be used for various other apt commands as well.
When a problem is solved, please add [SOLVED] to your thread title.
User avatar
Old Marcus
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 395
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:51 pm
Location: Exeter, UK

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 
Previous

Return to Newbie Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CROSP, hinto, kurok, Reorx and 25 guests