Firefox64 issues with extensions

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hoppel
Level 3
Level 3

Firefox64 issues with extensions

Post by hoppel »

I recently installed Mint 64 the first time and am very satisfied with its performance, but one thing is bothering me: Obviously it is quiet simple to make it crash, and the potentially biggest threat seems to be Firefox. I noticed, that a lot of extensions can cause not only Firefox but the whole system to crash. I suspect it to be a 32bit-64bit conversion issue, because most of these extensions are really common ones, belonging to the most popular extensions at mozilla.org. But I'm not completely sure about this, because I found nearly nothing concerning that problem in the net, and I also couldn't find any special editions of 64bit extensions. And finally, no extensions gave me a warning while installing. But I had several times a system freeze, until I removed nearly all extensions.
Am I right with the diagnosis, and if so, is there way to deal with it without risking data loss every time I install a new extension? Right now I'm stuck with Opera, which is nice, but not nice enough...

Edit: Meanwhile I also had a similar freeze 32bit Thunderbird (Windows version) under Wine and with Virtual Box 3.0,4 (but v2 works).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Firefox64 issues with extensions

Post by DrHu »

hoppel wrote:I recently installed Mint 64 the first time and am very satisfied with its performance, but one thing is bothering me: Obviously it is quiet simple to make it crash, and the potentially biggest threat seems to be Firefox. I noticed, that a lot of extensions can cause not only Firefox but the whole system to crash.
Am I right with the diagnosis, and if so, is there way to deal with it without risking data loss every time I install a new extension? Right now I'm stuck with Opera, which is nice, but not nice enough..
You are probably correct, there are quite a few issues with the 64bit applications and extensions, that were originally written as 32bit (who knows if a developer understands 64bit system well enough to fix problems/programming)

...is there way to deal with it without risking data loss every time I install a new extension?
https://launchpad.net/+search?field.tex ... rch=Search
Yes use the 32bit versions (of Firefox) , you don't really need the 64bit version of the Firefox browser
--what does it get give you, more than the 32bit version

Return to “Beginner Questions”