Screen Resolution?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Screen Resolution?

Postby star55 on Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:06 pm

Hello All,

I have successfully installed MINT on my son's laptop, now my question is...and I've read the manual first, is how he can make the text and graphics bigger. He can barely read the text, as it is too small.

Can anyone help?

Thanks Much!
star55
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Screen Resolution?

Postby richyrich on Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:20 pm

Hi, Which version of Mint did you install? Main (Gnome)? KDE? Xfce? 6? 7?
As they each have a different way to change the display.

Richy
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Location: Pirating somewhere along the North Saskatchewan River, Canada

Postby star55 on Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:37 pm

Whhoooops....should've noted that. I'm not sure; but will check and have an answer tomorrow, if you don't mind waiting for that info. I'm grateful for your quick response! I must say, I'm very happy that my son is working easily on MINT. :mrgreen: Hmmmmm....thinking back, something tells me GNOME sounds right. :? I'll have a definite answer tomorrow, though!

Thanks So Much!!!!
star55
Level 1
Level 1

Postby richyrich on Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:40 pm

One place to look (if it is Gnome) is in Menu -> Control Center -> Hardware -> Display

One of us will be around tomorrow . . . :D
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Postby star55 on Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:56 pm

Thanks much, once again! I'll try that....I'll report back either way! :wink:
star55
Level 1
Level 1

Postby vrkalak on Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:58 pm

I am, also, hard of sight . . . . old vision. I need reading glasses for everything.

System > Preferances > Appearance > Font ... from there i can change and customise every bit of text on the desktop or page.

Being able to change any and everything on the desktop is one of the main reasons I came to Linux and Mint.
:: Mint-Debian-Edition (Fluxbox) :: Debian-Sid (Xfce) ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: DeviantART Page
vrkalak
Level 10
Level 10

Postby star55 on Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:07 am

vrkalak wrote:I am, also, hard of sight . . . . old vision. I need reading glasses for everything.

System > Preferances > Appearance > Font ... from there i can change and customise every bit of text on the desktop or page.

Being able to change any and everything on the desktop is one of the main reasons I came to Linux and Mint.

Hi there, and THANKS! That seems to be what my son needs to do, except we can't find SYSTEM. He says we do have Gnome....
star55
Level 1
Level 1

Postby richyrich on Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:14 am

Hi,
It's in Menu -> Control Center -> Appearance -> Fonts.
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Postby star55 on Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:09 am

richyrich wrote:Hi,
It's in Menu -> Control Center -> Appearance -> Fonts.

Got it..thanks! Can I ask you another question? One issue we're not familiar with, is how to make the web site we're looking at fit the screen. There'a a lot of background space on each side of the web site we're going to, and I have no idea what that would be called, and where to find it!

Thanks Again!!!!
star55
Level 1
Level 1

Postby star55 on Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:12 am

richyrich wrote:One place to look (if it is Gnome) is in Menu -> Control Center -> Hardware -> Display

One of us will be around tomorrow . . . :D

Good Morning! As you can see, everyone's helping me deal with our newbie issues! Turns out we do have Gnome....

I'm still trying to figure how to change the screen size, I'm only guessing that's what the issue would be called.... :mrgreen:
star55
Level 1
Level 1

Postby richyrich on Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:14 am

Hi Again . . . What display resolution are you using ? ( example: mines at 1200 x 1024)

EDIT: Menu -> Control Center -> Hardware -> Display
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Postby star55 on Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:29 pm

richyrich wrote:Hi Again . . . What display resolution are you using ? ( example: mines at 1200 x 1024)

I think we may be having a different issue....I'm not sure if I posted this here or not, but the web page is not filling the screen, (lots of empty space on the left and right side of any web page we look at) thus making the text and everything, too small. What would that be? In the meantime, I'll try to find out the res he's using.
star55
Level 1
Level 1

Postby star55 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:18 pm

star55 wrote:
richyrich wrote:Hi Again . . . What display resolution are you using ? ( example: mines at 1200 x 1024)

I think we may be having a different issue....I'm not sure if I posted this here or not, but the web page is not filling the screen, (lots of empty space on the left and right side of any web page we look at) thus making the text and everything, too small. What would that be? In the meantime, I'll try to find out the res he's using.

The screen resolution he's on is: 1920 X 1024. He says the ONLY other resolution choice it gives is 800 X 600, and needless to say, is way too small. Does that help any?

BTW..thanks for helping me out here!
star55
Level 1
Level 1

Postby DrHu on Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:56 am

star55 wrote:The screen resolution he's on is: 1920 X 1024. He says the ONLY other resolution choice it gives is 800 X 600, and needless to say, is way too small. Does that help any?

He has a widescreen (landscape) display, more horizontal than vertical.. 16:9 ratio (vertical:horizontal)
--like a movie screen
Most until now web sites have shown in portrait mode, more vertical than wide 4:3 ratio (vertical:horizontal)
--like a book, newspaper, portrait photograph..
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t ... refox.html
post 8, 10 offer some suggestions..

http://www.bizzia.com/articles/tweak-fi ... it-to-169/
NA /ready for Firefox 3x yet..
His setting of 1900x1024 is not correct for a widescreen display, it is usally more like 1900x1200
If those are his only selections 800x600 and 1920x1024, then the video card settings in the desktop are probably not all they can be; That is, he doesn't have the native/binary drivers for the video card installed, and we don't know which video card, nvidia, ATI or intel etc..
/etc/X11/xorg.conf would need some adjustments for other resolutions..

Some quick checks he can do
In the terminal, check
    inxi -G
    --graphics card data
    inxi -F
    --short list of all the hardware
    glxinfo
    --first few lines for the video driver being used
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Postby star55 on Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:17 pm

DrHu wrote:
star55 wrote:The screen resolution he's on is: 1920 X 1024. He says the ONLY other resolution choice it gives is 800 X 600, and needless to say, is way too small. Does that help any?

He has a widescreen (landscape) display, more horizontal than vertical.. 16:9 ratio (vertical:horizontal)
--like a movie screen
Most until now web sites have shown in portrait mode, more vertical than wide 4:3 ratio (vertical:horizontal)
--like a book, newspaper, portrait photograph..
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t ... refox.html
post 8, 10 offer some suggestions..

http://www.bizzia.com/articles/tweak-fi ... it-to-169/
NA /ready for Firefox 3x yet..
His setting of 1900x1024 is not correct for a widescreen display, it is usally more like 1900x1200
If those are his only selections 800x600 and 1920x1024, then the video card settings in the desktop are probably not all they can be; That is, he doesn't have the native/binary drivers for the video card installed, and we don't know which video card, nvidia, ATI or intel etc..
/etc/X11/xorg.conf would need some adjustments for other resolutions..

Some quick checks he can do
In the terminal, check
    inxi -G
    --graphics card data
    inxi -F
    --short list of all the hardware
    glxinfo
    --first few lines for the video driver being used

Ok, we'll get to work on that. It may be a few days before I can report back, though! Thanks for the help...I hope we can figure this out!!
star55
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions