2 hard internal drives

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

2 hard internal drives

Postby skiddly on Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:12 am

hi i asked this in another post but got no replies if i have 2 internal hard drives can i put mint on one and leave windows on the other if so how do i set it up so i have choice of which one to use on start up, ty skiddly ( answers in easy to understand lingo please)
One day ill be clever and know things.
skiddly
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: 2 hard internal drives

Postby Aging Technogeek on Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:31 am

If both drives are the same type, it can be done fairly easily. First, Windows must be installed on the master drive ( /C in Windows, dev/sda in linux) then install Mint to dev/sdb. During installation, in step 6, there is a small selection box on screen labelled "Advanced". Click on this box and verify that Grub will be installed to dev/sda (hd0 in Grub terms). Grub will be installed to the boot sector of the Windows drive and automatically set up your dual boot menu. That's all there is to it.

Registered Linux User 483387
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Postby Fred on Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:41 am

skiddly,

Welcome to Linux Mint. :-)

I took the liberty of reviewing your threads/posts. I noticed that you have been all over the board about what you want to do. You talked about installing Mint inside of Windows, swapping out drives with default boots, and now doing a traditional menu OS select install on separate drives. You could also have both OSs on the same drive and use the other drive for data/backup or whatever.

All the schemes you have mentioned are possible. I would suggest that you give some thought to what you actually want. How do you want it to work? Once you know what you want maybe you will be able to get specific instructions on how to accomplish your chosen boot scheme.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby skiddly on Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:02 pm

Thanks Fred im sorry i seem to be confusing, my first choice would be to have the windows and mint operating systems on seperate internal hard drives but to get up and running was not sure which was easier wubi or dual boot i have at present got mint installed inside windows but would like it eventually when i understand how to just have it on its own hd hope this makes sense skiddly
One day ill be clever and know things.
skiddly
Level 1
Level 1

Postby azdavef on Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:56 pm

I am currently running XP on one drive and Mint on my other drive. Just follow Aging Technogeeks instructions. When you boot you will be presented the option of one or the other. It is just that simple.
azdavef
Level 1
Level 1

Postby meskarune on Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:02 pm

I think having linux and windows on sepperate drives is the best solution for dual booting, though I ussually have linux on the first drive and windows on the second drive. That way if I have to reinstall windows, I can unplug the first drive from my mother board, reininstall windows, then plug the drive back in. NO problems with windows replacing grub as the boot. :D

As for partitioning your second hard drive for mint... I would suggest booting the live cd and then partitioning with gparted. Make 4 partitions:

Mount point | file system | size
/boot | ext2 | 100mb
/ | ext3 | 20 - 30 GB (this is your root/main install)
/home | ext3 | the rest of the drive space this is were you can keep all your files like music, documents, etc.
/swap | swap | same size as the amount of ram you have

Make sure to have boot at the start of the drive and swap at the end. The beginging/end of the drive runs faster.

If you want to have more than 4 partitions you will have to make a logical partition. You can have as many partitions as you like in a logical partition, but only 4 primary partitions are allowed on a drive. (as of right now) You don't have to have /boot on its own partition...but it makes things easier in the long run. Exspecially with reinstalls of linux or windows. (you'll end up doing this every 6 months with mint if you want the latest versions) Having your home drive sepperate is a must so you files will be safe after a mint reinstall.

After you use gparted on the live cd to set up your drive like this, write down all the drive information. like hdb1 = boot etc.

Then when you install mint and get to the partioner section of the install, hit manual. Then tell mint what partitions to use and how to mount them. This is all in drop down menus. Make sure none of your windows partitions are going to be used.
The only limiting factor of the Linux operating system, is its user. -Linus Torvalds
meskarune
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions