Live disk works, install doesn't.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Live disk works, install doesn't.

Postby hairypreacher on Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:54 pm

Hello,

I may be missing something obvious so here's the story so far...

Downloaded the latest Mint iso, ran it live in an old dell machine, (2Ghz Celeron, 2Gb ram, onboard graphics intel 845, plenty of HDD space)
Works perfectly (I'm using it now)
Installed it dual boot with winblows xp, installation went fine then after reboot I get to the log in screen, after entering username and password I get a blank screen, the only error message I get is,

/usr/lib/libgconf2-4/gconf-sanity-check-2 exited with status 256

Any help or pointers much appreciated, have had a search here but have not found an answer yet...

Andy
hairypreacher
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Live disk works, install doesn't.

Postby richyrich on Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:28 pm

Hi Andy,
Something to try, (hard drive boot) when you get to the login screen, click the Session, and change it to Failsafe Gnome, then log in. Once logged in you should be able to get/download all the Mint updates, and change/check your display setup. Reboot, & change the Session back to Gnome.

Let us know how it turns out.

Richy

EDIT: I googled your error message, and found a solution in the Ubuntu forums: (hard drive boot)
On the initial boot screen (counting down the seconds), hit the spacebar, and choose Compatibility Mode. Arrow down to Root Terminal, hit enter, use your regular password, and type the following (in green) at the prompt:
Code: Select all
mkdir -p /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.system; chmod 755 /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.system

Hit enter, and exit / reboot.
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Return to Newbie Questions