Hello, world! Partitioning again

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Hello, world! Partitioning again

Postby Eocyte on Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:17 pm

I just want to say: "Hello! You are doing really great job. Insane community, you are so friendly everyone. I am glad that I am here."

Now, let's go back to main subject.

I would like to get to know Unix-like systems better. Until now I was a ussual Windows user slightly interested in computer. My first time Unix-like experience was when I tried OpenBSD (Really tough one for beginner, but I enjoyed it. Security is very interesting topic). After a few miserable days in OpenBSD world (I couldn't get anything working there) I decided to start from beginning and choose distro which is friendly for beginner. "Mint"

Before installation I need a small help. Can you tell me optional settings for partition scheme? How much for /root, /swap, /home...?
I know there are a lot of threads about this, but I want to hear common solution of experienced linux users. I have HP notebook 4GB RAM, 500GB Hard disk.

I am looking forward to your answers. I apologize for my newbie question and maybe even for my written English (English is not my native language).

Regards,
Eocyte
Eocyte
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Hello, world! Partitioning again

Postby smsmith on Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:26 pm

I use the following:

/swap - same as my RAM, which I believe is the recommended amount
/root - 10 GB
/home - whatever was left on the drive (I believe it was 18 GB)

With 10 GB for root, I haven't run into any disk space issues yet, but I don't plan on using more than one desktop environment. I've added the KDE game pack and some other assorted programs and added one of the newer kernels and believe I have near 5 GB left. I'll check when I get home.

I only used the smallish 18 GB for /home, because the system is single user and I didn't want to give up my Vista partition quite yet. I haven't moved my music collection over yet, but it's only 3 GB any way. I have a Blu-Ray player hooked to my pretty sweet TV, so I don't plan on ripping movies to this computer, so I doubt I'll need much more space that that. But probably at Christmas time I will get a new laptop with Win7 on it and dedicate this laptop to Mint fully and start to explore the multimedia capabilities.

I don't see many recommendations for more partitions than that anymore. Used to be you would see guides insisting you have a /var, /usr, /bin, etc partition. Somebody will correct me if I am wrong, I'm sure. :D
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
smsmith
Level 3
Level 3

Postby RedWagon on Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:46 pm

smsmiths' post is pretty good, though if you play games you might want a slightly larger root partition.
RedWagon
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Acid_1 on Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:18 pm

10 gigs is a lot if you don't have much hard drive space. I have mine set to 6.5GB and it still has 2 gigs free. I recommend you run this when you have Mint installed. You can get ~500MB freed up of space.

viewtopic.php?t=12238&p=147342#p147342

On my Ubuntu partition after 3 months it cleared 700MB for me :)
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Eocyte on Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:30 pm

I appreciate your effort, you helped me a lot! Thank you, all of you.
Eocyte
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Eocyte on Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:52 pm

Emm.. Another question? Should I use x64 or x86 for 4GB RAM? What are your experiences? I heard that x64 is a little bit faster.
Eocyte
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:10 pm

Eocyte,

If you are doing a lot of computationally intensive things, compiling, converting formats, etc., use the 64 bit version. For things memory intensive and normal desktop use stay with the 32 bit version.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions