installing .deb

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
timjam
Level 2
Level 2

installing .deb

Post by timjam »

Hi all...

just starting with LINUX... and very much still trying to find my way around.

I want to install a 3rd party plugin to pidgin so I can chat on facebook... teh plugin exists here:

http://code.google.com/p/pidgin-faceboo ... loads/list

now... since mint is based on ubunto I thought that O would be able to use the .deb file to install the plugin.

Do I download it in firefox and by defult it gives me to option to open it with GDebi... so I click ok and it gives me this message:

/tmp/pidgin-facebookchat-1.60-4.deb could not be opened, because the associated helper application does not exist. Change the association in your preferences.

errr.... help?.... what do i do?

Thanks for any help... please keep it VERY easy to understand

:)

timjam
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
timjam
Level 2
Level 2

Re: installing .deb

Post by timjam »

Ok... I have part solved it... but still left with a mistery... I (eventualy) figured out how to find the life on my hard drive and by double clicking on it was able to install it...

but why didn't this just work from firefox in the first place?

Tim
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

because the associated helper application does not exist
Helper application in Firefox ?

Firefox doesn't have the association, even though Mint does. By downloading and saving it to your hard drive, then double or right clicking the file , GDebi will do it's thing ! :D

Richy
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Checked at Firefox Addons site , no such animal ! :shock:
timjam
Level 2
Level 2

Post by timjam »

do i can't just run a .deb from in fire fox... all well

oooo... random question.... I get a black box popping up in the top right hand corner of the screen with details of new people ariving... i think it is a mint thin nor a pidgin spacific thing... an one know what it is called and how I change it's preferances?
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

I don't use Pidgin, but if it is showing new people arriving, then it definitely IS Pidgin, check the notification settings in Pidgin.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

That'll be the Ubuntu/Linux Mint notifications, Pidgin uses them to tell you when someone logs on, you'll see it used for other applications too.

Glad you made this post, tried this .deb file the other day and got the same, couldn't work it out and wasn't that bothered to be honest so left, but now I know :D
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.

Return to “Beginner Questions”