Disable login user name/password[solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
moodywoody

Re: Disable login user name/password

Post by moodywoody »

Menu > Administration > Login Window > Security Tab > Enable Automatic Login
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
meskarune

Re: Disable login user name/password

Post by meskarune »

Yep, you sure can. Just to to settings, users and it will let you disable the password and how many seconds you want the computer to wait before booting up.
Koffeehaus

Re: Disable login user name/password[solved]

Post by Koffeehaus »

"Menu > Administration > Login Window > Security Tab > Enable Automatic Login"

I don't seem to have that menu tree at all. I have 'menu > administration > log in screen'. And that's the final window where I can choose a login sound and a desktop environment. There is nothing about security or automatic logins... :(

Using Mint Isadora
dritzominous
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dritzominous »

Go to "Administration" and then "Users and Groups" on the mint menu, and you can change it from there.

:wink:

(Linux Mint 9 LTS)
dritzominous
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dritzominous »

Wait no, I tested it, and that didn't work. But, what did...

1. Run "Seahorse" (Alt+F2 and then type it in)

2. Right click on the thing that says "Passwords: login", and select "Change Password" from the right click menu.

3. A dialog box will pop up, type in your current password in the "Old Password" input box, and leave the other 2 blank.

4. Hit Ok, and when you see the next popup, click "Use unsafe storage" (Hey, you're the one that wanted no password prompt)

Now, you wont see the keyring password prompt at startup, but you'll still have to supply your password for executing programs that require root privileges.

....Hey, I got it right this time.

:mrgreen:

Return to “Beginner Questions”