I can't use Nvidia

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

I can't use Nvidia

Postby AstridH on Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:44 pm

Hello everybody,
Thanks for help people like me :) ....very new on Linux

I'm using linuxmint 7 and my problem is that every time I go to Nvidia X server settings this box appear:

You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server.

....and of course I don't know how to do this... so someone can be gentle and tell me what to do? :)

Thanx, AstridH
AstridH
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: I can't use Nvidia

Postby smsmith on Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:32 pm

AstridH wrote:You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server.

....and of course I don't know how to do this... so someone can be gentle and tell me what to do? :)

Press ALT+F2.

In the window that pops up, type gksudo nvidia-xconfig if you use gnome, or kdesudo nvidia-xconfig if you use kde.

You should be asked for your password, then the program should run. Then either reboot or press CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE after saving all your open files because that command restarts the X server which kills all open programs.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
smsmith
Level 3
Level 3

Re: I can't use Nvidia

Postby gremarc on Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:09 am

I'm not sure if this would apply to your problem, but before I activated my Nvidia card I went to first synaptics and installed "nvidia-settings" then activated my card. When it completed I restarted and the I could now access the Nvidia settings without getting this message. Give it a try, it just might work for you.
Go to Synaptic: System > Administration> Synaptic Package Manager and search for nvidia-settings. Once found, install it and try to activate your card again, then restart.
gremarc
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions